• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 211

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lost driver's mirror isn't a loss -- as soon as you start the truck, the mirror shakes so much at the end of that long arm that you can't see anything, anyway. I modified a set of M35 west coast mirrors to fit my GMC M135, and they made all the difference in the world. I lengthened some tubes using material I cut from other tubes, a little grinding, some paint, and I've had other GMC owners ask me where I got GMC west coast mirrors - I just smiled and said that they were NOS......
Do you have any pictures of the NOS :D mirrors?

moriboy

For what it is, that hard top isn't as bad as I had imagined. Someone was pretty handy with sheet metal.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it is, that hard top isn't as bad as I had imagined. Someone was pretty handy with sheet metal.
You are correct. Sheet metal wise, it is an exceptional job done by someone who took the time to do it right.

I am going to remove it once i have all the pices together to put the canvas top on or when I can finally get that cursed M1009 running and out of the barn so I can get the M-211 in it. I'll be carefull with it in case i want to sell/trade/give it away/whatever.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a few pics of some of the GMCs I own or did own.
That fire truck was/is a nice looking rig! I noticed the strange doohicky in front of the passengers door that's thae same as is on mine. What is it and what is it for? Same things are on the M-35A2's and I don't have a clue about them either.

Thanks for the pictures, I'll copy them with your permission for guides to help my restoration.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, MACCUS and I looked at that one in August or so. There's another complete one just north of Torrington parked in the weeds, also some parts trucks off I-25 south of Casper.

nmwildman013

Interesting serial number. One of the deuces I'm working on was delivered in 3/54 too and the serial number on yours seems like it's real close. I'll have to check it tomorrow. Now I'm really curious!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting serial number. One of the deuces I'm working on was delivered in 3/54 too and the serial number on yours seems like it's real close. I'll have to check it tomorrow. Now I'm really curious!
Stranger things have happened. Two of my M35's serial numbers are exactly 20 number apart..XXX588 and XXX608, Who knows maybe they're twins?!?!:shock::shock:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #1

To seperate the previous posts on info gathering for the 211 and the actual start and running of the restoration, I've numbered this Post #1, hope no one gets confused. Todays plan is simple, swap out the left front tire/ It's flatter than a pancake and won't hold air.

If you keeping up with the VN project, this tire swap will come first, then i'll warm up, swap around rigs...I really need a 10,00 foot shop instead of a 1,000 foot shop. Then I'll get to work on the VN project.

Update: After severe trials and tribulations, got the lug nuts busted loose. Had to hold the 3/4 drive impact driver on each bolt for quite a while. I think the previous owner applied a little too much elbow grease on it. Anyway left front tire is replaced with a temp spare that's holding air (for now). Next step is right rear flat.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #2

Today, plan to replace right rear wheel. This morning I pulled the rails that had been installed. Wasn't hard, between the wood rot and less than perfect construction, they came right out. Books are coming out too. Since I don't have the hood supports, I'm just going to pull it so I can get to the engine. There's water in the oil so I have to fix the leak...head gasket? After that, I'll try and get it running.

Took a better look at the front bumper..something just didn't look right. The large steel plate that fills the space in front of the radiator has been crunched. Someone in the past wrapped a chain around it and tugged too hard. Hope the salvage yard up in Casper has a replacement...

Update: lug nuts came right off. If you saw some of my pictures, only singles are installed in back. Lug nuts came of really easy but the inner lugs wouldn't budge. I used the hand lug wrench and the handle started bending. I had added a 4 foot extension to the bar and none of them would budge. Used the 3/4 drive Milwaukee electric impact wrench with a 23 MM 12 point socket (perfect size and has worked well on my M35s just fine. Didn't budge,period. I sat for 20 straight minutes on one lug justto get it to budge, nope, nada, nothing. So instead of messing with it any more, got one of the junk tires that would hold air and stuck it on. It's now able to be moved. Going into the engine next to see if i can find the reason for water in the oil. Suspect #1 is the head gasket. Post #3 will come soon with the results.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost forgot. Got all the junk wood and crap out of the back. It's all cleaned up except for taking a pressure washer to the back end of the truck to get as much mud off before going in the shop. Tried to get the air tank valve to open, wouldn't budge. By that time, too tired, cold and sore to mess with it. I'll check it tomorrow. I think I'll pressureize the air system (low pressure) to see if anything goes boom while it's still outside as well.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winds are 50+ today. Since the truck is out in the wind, not safe for man nor beast to work on it. Got other trucks to work on, so for now the 211 is on hold.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the manual with lots of pictures or I can draw a picture of the dash. Mine is all original.Its a '52 XM211.Let me see if I can find pics of my dash.
Picture would be great! I was given a site that has the manuals for free use but haven't had time to download all of them yet. Appreciate the help![thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks