• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting a tractor to a dump

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[FONT=&quot]Is the hydraulic pump that runs the winch on an M932A1 the same pump that runs the hydraulic cylinder on a M929 or M930? Are the M930/A1/A2 trucks equipped with two hydraulic pumps, one for the winch and one for the dump bed hydraulic cylinder? Someone is looking to convert a M932A1 to a dump truck and is wondering if the existing hydraulic system will support a dump bed. Does anyone know the actual rating of the hydraulic pump that is on the M932A1? Thanks much for any help.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm unsure how the factory dumps are set up but I can tell you the winch pump is more than capable of running a dump bed.

Danl

Danl M915A1

the dump body going on my dump has two Rams in the sub frame and calls for 30 galon oil tank , how many gallons those the winch Have? and than have fun finding place to mount 30 gallon oil tank, thats where Im at Psi and Gpm are inportant the dump body should state what it wants, Im sure the pump you got will work Gpm will make the speed at witch the body will lift,

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch pump is rated 14GPM at 1200 rpm. I don't recall the pto rpm at governed speed but it's much more than 1200 rpm. Actual pump output at governed speed (2100 engine rpm) is around 20 or so gpm.

Danl

Danl M915A1

Ok I Pulled out the info , that Fleet pride Heavy Duty Experts, Said that I needed, It might over kill, but who knows , Is what I have to go by ,Operating Pressure is 1800 PSI and 25 GPM This is for a 12 yard Body and lifting 20 ton

Danl

Danl M915A1

I'm still working on building a 915 dump truck. The 915 only has 11 foot frame. Wheelerdans truck 022.jpg bodys are 12 feet 6 inch and 13 feet 6 inches. the frist thing I did was Nail down The pto. the PTO and the pump air shift all that is in the boxes on my tail gate I have to Say Lance Robsand set me in the right way to go with the pto. saturday I'm working on the pto I'll post Pto pictures. to day I set The body on the truck I have lots of teecking to do , My body Is 12 fooot 6 inch as you can see in the pic the stack has to go I'll keep sending pictures, now that I know how to do that , It started raining so I'll have to get back to the body on sunday[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know about the 900 series, but the M51 has a special dump sub-frame. The pump and the tank for the hydraulics and the cylinders themselves are mounted inside the sub-frame, space enough.

Last edited:

flibob

I have a 932 also. For $1800 you can get a 24v lift kit from C&C. I don't know the specs but they have put several on dueces and 5 tons.

I have the 5th wheel and ramps off mine. Looking for a drop side .

Danl

Danl M915A1

Don't know about the 900 series, but the M51 has a special dump sub-frame. The pump and the tank for the hydraulics and the cylinders themselves are mounted inside the sub-frame, space enough.
I'm useing a sub frame Pic 5 shows it pretty well, I have a dule cillinder sissor lift in there . the sub frame makes the truck pretty high I hope its not to top heavy I'm not sure if I like the sub frame Yet. If the truck rolls over I know I won' t like the sub frame LOL

Danl

Danl M915A1

I have a 932 also. For $1800 you can get a 24v lift kit from C&C. I don't know the specs but they have put several on dueces and 5 tons.

I have the 5th wheel and ramps off mine. Looking for a drop side .
I didn't think that 24 volt pump had enought balls to lift this 12 yard body, If it is than that is the way to go, because the PTO and Pump is a nightmear I'm stuck with the tranny line that goes to the tranny filter in the way the pto is in place now But I have to jog the filter line around and its hard going I took pictures but left the cam at the shop I'l post them Tomarrow night

Danl

Danl M915A1

its 1am i got home last night I was beat to death. that tranny thing was a bad day.hopefully I'll have a better day to day, I will post picture tonight. I left the cam. at the shop

Danl

Danl M915A1

O boy is it ever raining out now On the top of the allison tranny there is a Flared street 90 that goes in the tranny it must be a packing nut base of some sort. has anybody tryed to remove one of these fitting? I cannot for the sake of me spin this fitting eather way, and I need to spin it a little to reconnect the filter line to clear the pto. I spent 4 hours on this and now I cannot sleep I got to shift this line any clues?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm useing a sub frame Pic 5 shows it pretty well, I have a dule cillinder sissor lift in there . the sub frame makes the truck pretty high I hope its not to top heavy I'm not sure if I like the sub frame Yet. If the truck rolls over I know I won' t like the sub frame LOL

The M51 sub-frame has the same dimensions as the main frame; it looks that yours is heavier and higher than the main frame. They probably did not installl the original subframe just for fun or housing the pump and tank. As to rolling over, just drive veeeerrryyy slow in corners :wink:

jw4x4

[FONT=&quot]Is the hydraulic pump that runs the winch on an M932A1 the same pump that runs the hydraulic cylinder on a M929 or M930? Are the M930/A1/A2 trucks equipped with two hydraulic pumps, one for the winch and one for the dump bed hydraulic cylinder? Someone is looking to convert a M932A1 to a dump truck and is wondering if the existing hydraulic system will support a dump bed. Does anyone know the actual rating of the hydraulic pump that is on the M932A1? Thanks much for any help.[/FONT]
The issue here is not pressure capability, but capacity. The hyd system on a cylinder setup (dump) needs enough fluid to fill it. On a winch, the fluid continually circulates thru , does not accumulate, therefore can have a smaller reservoir. A cylinder system will require a much larger reservoir because the fluid remains in the cylinder while raising the bed, until released back into the reservoir while the bed is being lowered. 2cents

Danl

Danl M915A1

you are right this picture is my new rebuilt oil tankDans truck 2 017.jpg Im putting it over the battery box under the cab Dans truck 2 012.jpgthere is 1/2 inch space from top of box to bottom of tank. I should be able to slide battery cover out if I need to get in there. Of course the Master at arms has to be on the jobDans truck 2 015.jpg I had My friend Glenn help this morning. I did get the pto and pump installed, The tranny filter line , Had a 90 elbow on the filter end . I was able to turn the line end for end and got the line hooked up . that line was a big deal but I got it done. I ran one line from the pump to the hoist today. Than I worked on the hoist controll lever cable. I have to build a brace to tie pump end of cable to. This is a weekend so I had a beer or two, I'll finish the cable work install the tank run the rest of the hoses. Than I'll set the body forward 8 more inches and bolt it down, hopefully all will work out. Than I'll paint the body , not counting the painting and the way the job is going I fell that I have two more days on this I will say making a dump truck out of a M915A1 is easy said than done

Attachments

Danl

Danl M915A1

I have a m817 I am partling out if anyone needs parts.It is listed in the classifieds.
I want to put a dump body like yours on a 923, but I'm not ready now, I'll check with you when I 'm ready if your body is still around good if not owell.I'll fine one somewere I hope

Danl

Danl M915A1

I want to put floaters on the front steer wheels. I'll be looking for 13 inch 10 bolt 22.5 rimms any leads on a set would be great. thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks