• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this the right crimping tool

Jones

BigMike. Here's the proper crimping tool for the watertight connectors. Daniels AF-8 crimping tools come in two sizes though. This one does automotive wire gauge sizes and another AF-8 does 22ga. and smaller (check out the gauge selector wheel on the back side of the tool). Make sure you get the right one.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To me, it looks like the crimper in the auction Big Mike linked us to is for the wiring circuit tags......the flat/straight plane on the crimper. See pic below. To me, what Jones posted looks like watertight connector style.

Am I wrong?

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pics. I'm gonna save then to my drive for future reference. Regarding the crimper Jones so well displays above, this is what I thought I have read about in the past.

I'm thinkin' Franks Surplus is selling this crimper with the circuit tags Clinto is talkin' about.

Either way, thanks guys.

Jones

Got an idea here. I think that you could use any of the solderless, crimp-on bullet connectors in these rubber boots. The secret is the crimping tool in that it doesn't deform the terminal like regular crimpers do. Being crimped with the AF8 tool allows them to slip into the nylon inner sleeves. The problem is that the sleeves, the notched washers, boots and terminals all come together in a kit. And you're right, the guys that have them are pretty proud of them. If anyone has a package of the terminals, there should be a 5 digit "mfr. code" on there. That number can be researched to find out who makes them.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Packard connectors - M series rubber type

These guys sell the connectors you want. The prices are very good but you must buy a min of100 pieces. Typical cost is aprox. 50 cents each. So for about $120 you get 100 male and 100 female. Just get a few guys together and buy some. I just rewired my M211 with them
and they work great. Note, I switched from the douglas to the packard type because I was modifying an M54 wiring harness for the job. The douglas connectors are too pricy for my wallet.

<http>

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So apparently these Daniels AF-8's are used in aviation as well........

Looking on ebay, several of the AF-8's have "turrets" with them.

What are the turrets for? Are all AF-8's set up to crimp wire right off the bat or will I need an additional accessory?

Thanks

C

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a DMC AF-8 with a turret. I have no clue what good the turret is, I just use the machine! Leonard, when you do female connections, do you have to pull off that metal tension sleeve on the connector to get it to slide through the AF-8?

Jones

Kenny, the springs have to come off to fit through the tool. I turned down a bolt for a tool to remove and replace them. The tip is sized to slide into the female terminal with a step that's the same size as the outside of the end that I slide the spring off onto. After crimping, I just re insert the 'tool' and slide the spring back onto the terminal. Sure beats wrestling with them and their spring tension, sharp ends and edges-- and trying to figure out where the ones that got away are hiding.
HANDY-TIP #42 Best way to find the lost ones is to stroll around your work area in your bare feet.
I think the turret is to hold the terminal at the right depth so you don't have to do a juggling act-- not sure since I've never had one; I just use the tool by itself too.

Michael

The Daniels tool with the right head would definitely do the job, but I think the silver one is the one that comes with the terminal kit form the military. The pdf catalog has a lot of interesting info on crimping if you like that kind of thing.

The DMC AF8 qualified to MIL-DTL-22520/1, has virtually limitless application within the specified wire range of 12 through 26 AWG. Over a thousand turret heads or positioners are available to adapt the tool frame to your specific military or proprietary contact/wire combination.
http://www.dmctools.com/default.htm

http://www.dmctools.com/_pdf/Catalogs/ConnectorToolingGuide.pdf

Here is a link to a source for a new tool like the one in the kit (I removed the link because it no longer points to the right tool.

Last edited:

Jones

Looks like the Ideal/ Buchanan tool will work just fine. If you're doing mil. spec. wiring and are using the waterproof connectors, the secret is the four-point, non-deforming crimp that the Daniels, Ideal/Buchanan and the silver tool from the wiring kits all do.
With any of them, just make sure they'll accomodate the automotive size wire, not the very small "computer" wire.

steelandcanvas

From my reasearch, the Daniels tool is an eight-point crimp whereas the other tools are four-point. I would like to agree with you...the Ideal/Buchannan should work just fine for my money.

Jones

I think Daniels is splitting hairs. All crimp at 4 points (locations)-- 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00. The Daniels tool has four "jaws" and each jaw has two small points instead of one larger one. Does that qualify it as an 'eight point crimp'?
The whole purpose of that style of crimp is so that it won't deform the terminal and keep it from sliding into the plastic liner on the waterproof connector. Slide a waterproof connector apart and compare it to a terminal crimped with an automotive crimping tool and you'll see what I mean. If you soldered the terminals on instead of crimping them you could accomplish the same effect.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I finally bought an AF-8. I have been watching the auction sites and one finally went cheap so I bid.

I understand the turret has 3 positions for different wiring gauges. But I am not sure what the turret does-I get the sense it has something to do with either holding the wire in place or setting the depth of the wire in the connector.

Am I right?

And how do I remove the turret? It isn't obvious to me.

Thanks

C

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks