• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this the right crimping tool

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My turret is in the back of the tool box somewhere. It's for setting wire depth IIRC. There are 2 socket head screws in the top of the turret, this will release it from the tool. Can I ask what it set you back?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My turret is in the back of the tool box somewhere. It's for setting wire depth IIRC. There are 2 socket head screws in the top of the turret, this will release it from the tool. Can I ask what it set you back?
$70 shipped.

Thanks-C

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a good deal. I held out for price and was rewarded by one similar in price. The only thing that sucks is having to take the spring collar off the female connectors to crimp them. Jones made a tool for this and it looks like it works well, I'm not so talented to duplicate it.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the lead, Clinto.

Has anyone else bought and used the crimping tool and had success manipulating the female terminal springs other than Jones who has made a capture/transfer tool for the purpose?

Rick

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how to use the Daniels tool

I have used cheapo crimpers in automotive applications forever, and never liked the results (so I solder a lot of my connections). I obtained a Daniels AF-8 crimper, as shown in the pics above, with turret.

I cannot figure out how to use this thing correctly with the M-style connectors (the later style ones, Packard).

I need a tutorial to un-challenge myself and get the thing to work - are there any step by step instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble the terminals (such as get the boot on correctly, after crimping...) and how to correctly crimp the connectors? My field trials were not that successful.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a a show/feamarket yesterday and found a crimper. I knew it was the correct one, but next to is was the black bag in the pictures. On the bag it says, 88-09-002 Removal tool set for sizes 12,16 & 20 DMC. The 3 push tools are for removing and installing the end terminal pins from rubber blocks(like the trailer light plug).

The red capped tube is an AMP brand pin tool with a set of tips to cover a few sizes of pins also(bonus).

Then there are 2(red & white) other "tips" that are clipped together for storage. They say insert and extract on them.They seem to have a brand name also, Aiconics

I have used this type of tool before, for pin insertion in "cannon/amphenol" connectors. What I don't know(as was discussed earlier in this thread) is if any of these tools are intended for the female connector "spring ring".

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, for $15 I grabbed them both up.

AN/ARC186

So apparently these Daniels AF-8's are used in aviation as well........

Looking on ebay, several of the AF-8's have "turrets" with them.

What are the turrets for? Are all AF-8's set up to crimp wire right off the bat or will I need an additional accessory?

Thanks

C
As a former Marine avionics tech (6324/6344) I've used these quite a bit, still do for some applications,

The turrets are used to set depths for different pin and sleeve lengths. the turret can be easily removed , you don't need it for the packard style contacts. I've got 3 sets of these as well as 2 Daniels HX4 open frame crimp sets with multiple dies.
so with all those at my disposal here is what I use when making up packard connections.

Klein Tools -Crimping/Cutting Tools - Non-Insulated/Insulated Terminals

They work perfectly, are easy to use, don't deform the contacts, don't pinch off the wires and can be had for under $25.00 at lowes or home depot. anyone who's seen my truck can attest to what an uptight A**hole I am when it comes to wiring installations.
(comes from working on aircraft all those years)
and best of all , you won't have a fit if they get dropped in the mud, sometimes the simplest ways work best...

Attachments

AN/ARC186

What I don't know(as was discussed earlier in this thread) is if any of these tools are intended for the female connector "spring ring".

the plastic red/white tools(insertion/extractor) can be used for the female contact, the colors are used to determine size as well.
the slotted plastic sleeve of the tool slides around the wire, up into the connector body, around the contact and over the lock ring on the contact, this will enable you to remove the sleeve(also called the socket by some) from the connector body.

hope that helps

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the company that sells all the connectors you ever want to buy for your mil vehicle:

http://www.amerline.com

They do have minimum quantity buys, but they are the real deal and very high quality. I am adding this here since the link in my previous post went away and
someone requested it.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
google cannon extraction tool. If you are only doing a few, all you need is the cheap ones. If you are careful, they will last. Obviously you need to get the size that fits your connector, and there are a lot of sizes.
Bruce