• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveability of 395's vs. NDT's

MT4222

Hello everyone,

I purchased my first deuce yesterday. My truck has the standard NDT tires on it right now but it came with a set of 395's already mounted on rims. Both sets of tires are like new. Considering that I am new to driving this truck what tires should i put on it? By this i mean what steers, brakes, and handles better? If this has been covered already excuse me but i have searched for hours on google and using the search function and havent found anything. I really appreciate your input.

Thank You Very Much,
Max

Tulsafireman

Have yet to buy my deuce (hopefully soon) but have driven A2's and A'3 in the AF for years. 395's will ride better and look cooler ;) Keep the NDT's as a backup.

welldigger

My truck is currently running the old 9.00-20 ndt's and well.....I can't wait to get a set of 395's. The ndt's really don't have that great of traction on anything but dry pavement/hardpack dirt. If you do put your 395's on please report back with your findings since I want to convert to super singles asap. I would love to know what you think.

Tulsafireman

Might want to read peashooters thread on the MRAP adapter plates. Even if you dont need the plates there is a lot of good info in the thread about front end alignment and steering issues, death wobble etc....

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have both, 395's on the She Beast and NDCC's on mine. I can ware my NDCC's out in about 5-6000 miles. They are traction-less on most things that we drive on, where as the She Beast never even starts to sink in sand or slip on the trails/tracks we drive. I use 6x way more often because of sinking and slipping.

They feel diff when they're on/in the same stuff. Her's feels like it pushes the ground down and moves over it easier because it's compacting it, or something. The Draggin' just digs into it. It really cuts the soft stuff up and feels like you're counting on the side ribs to keep you moving.
I can totally get stuck places that she just walks through, . . . and maybe didn't put her's in 6x . . . "didn't think I needed to". . .

I am putting on some 11x20 Mich rads on that I just got :)

Here's some photos of us at the same place,
12-09- (18).jpg 12-09- (19).jpg 12-09- (15).jpg

Last edited:

MT4222

Might want to read peashooters thread on the MRAP adapter plates. Even if you dont need the plates there is a lot of good info in the thread about front end alignment and steering issues, death wobble etc....
Thank you very much I found this thread and read it

taylordc15

As you can see from previous post the 395's make a huge difference. One of the things I like about them that no one has mentioned is an increase in top speed, makes the truck much nicer to drive on the highway. I don't really drive mine that much faster, usually around 60 but the lower RPM is nice. I do have a pyro gauge and the fuel turned up.SSGR12q.jpg

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
395's win all except for originality. Cruising the hiway at 60 is easy and offroad manners in the sand are excellent.

welldigger

Ugh I need to hurry up and pick up the a3 wheels I have a guy hold for me while I save up money. Does $200 per wheel for A3 wheels seem fair?

3dAngus

So true Andrew. A3 wheels with tires and CTIS go for much more. It is rare to find them for under $300.
If Andrew doesn't buy them at $150-200, I would. They would have to be seriously damaged if not. Just the CTIS equipped wheel without the tire is worth that in today's markets.

Not sure where you guys get these prices from, but I wish you send some good ones down here at those kinds of prices, IF, you can find them.
Just be careful of buying tires mounted, because many of them have been sitting on flats for long periods of times and are damaged due to CTIS failures and leaks, but you might not know that until you air them up and take them for a ride. Look for lines or creases or any kind of irregularities along a flat spot line if they are already aired up.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see from previous post the 395's make a huge difference. One of the things I like about them that no one has mentioned is an increase in top speed, makes the truck much nicer to drive on the highway. I don't really drive mine that much faster, usually around 60 but the lower RPM is nice. I do have a pyro gauge and the fuel turned up.View attachment 395643
395's win all except for originality. Cruising the hiway at 60 is easy and offroad manners in the sand are excellent.
It is true that there is about a 300 rpm drop at the same speed, and . . . it also changes the torque and where that 3 - 4 gear gap falls. For "flatlanders" ;) that might not play a big part, for us it is something to think about. Elise often has to shift into 4th pretty soon into a climb or long grade. Once she drops too low in that it's down to 3rd. Where as I can hold 4th much longer. I have even passed her on a climb just to keep myself out of 3rd. On the flats and down hill see walks away from me while I'm max'd at 2400.

Off-road they can rip the wheel out of your hands much easier, and they are more susceptible to sidewall damage.

Just somethings to think about :)

MO MV man

No comparison.
It was a totally different truck (for the better!) after swapping to 395's on HEMTT wheels.

Slap on some lockouts to finish off "the package". Driveability will be improved immensely.

welldigger

Please let me know where these $200 or $150 A3 wheels are. I'll buy every one of them.
So I take it thats not a bad price for them? I don't know how many the guy has but I need at least 6. Preferably 7. If he has any more I will get in touch with you and let you know what he has.

shannondeese

I commute 100 miles a day through San Diego traffic with my bobbed Deuce. I am running 395's and wouldn't switch back to NDT's if you paid me. I regularly take my truck off road in the sand, rocks, and desert trails. Snow is a lot of fun too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks