• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveability of 395's vs. NDT's

3dAngus

I commute 100 miles a day through San Diego traffic with my bobbed Deuce. I am running 395's and wouldn't switch back to NDT's if you paid me. I regularly take my truck off road in the sand, rocks, and desert trails. Snow is a lot of fun too.
WOW! Shannon that is just amazing. You drive it to work EVERY day? Just curious, do you use it in your work?

You might have the record for daily driving a Former MIlitary Vehicle (FMV) to work on a regular basis. And, you might have the record for fuel consumption on a daily basis in a FMV.

Another curiousity question. Is that about $50 a day for fuel costs in your local area? I imagine running lower rpms, to go higher speeds, helps on fuel consumption a bit.

Congratulations and look forward to hearing more on this.

shannondeese

I live in San Diego and commute to Camp Pendleton. I have a Ford F250 that I drive on most Fridays, just because on friday the traffic is so bad the 50 mile trip usually takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours. That much time on the clutch is rough on the left leg. There are days that I put her in low and 2nd gear and idle along while everyone else is on the brakes or gas. The nice thing about the Deuce in traffic is no one pulls out in front of me. Although a few have tried but a few blasts of the horn or flashing the lights they move pretty quickly. Diesel yesterday was 4.49 at the local exxon so if I drove the Ford I'd have to pay over $100 a week, more than I want too that's for sure. I don't use my truck for work but I have in the past before. When the squadron needs something hauled around I've volunteered my trucks services. The weekly servicing isn't bad and it keeps me better informed about what my truck is doing.

Heath_h49008

The flood of Goodyear MVTs hitting the market gives me a warm fuzzy they will be available for the next few years. They seem to be the new standard Mil tire.

The price dropping like it has is giving me a good feeling as well!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the MVT's, that's what we have.
And I'll second that, about how common they are becoming.

3dAngus

Keep in mind, in this business things come and go.
I remember when Hunter towbars were scarce, then became plentiful.

I haven't see a supply of good quality Hunters with 1" feet in a year.
And just finding a good set of one inch feet for less than $100 with clean TB pins is almost impossible.

It's rags or riches in this business. Get them while you can.

The Goodyears look great for offroading, but I bet they'll make one heck of a racket while singing on the highway. The Michelins are going to be quieter.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Goodyears look great for offroading, but I bet they'll make one heck of a racket while singing on the highway. The Michelins are going to be quieter.
I have the MVT's and to tell you the truth, I cannot here them from the driver's seat. I am sure everyone driving a deuce would be hard-rpressed to hear any tire noise over the regular deuce noise.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:
though we've dead'nd down the sound quite a bit w/ the fat-mat and muffler.
The Mitch's have much bigger lugs, w/ much more space in between, . . . that's louder to me.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flood of Goodyear MVTs hitting the market gives me a warm fuzzy they will be available for the next few years. They seem to be the new standard Mil tire.

The price dropping like it has is giving me a good feeling as well!

Every MTV and LMTV has these tires and these are the trucks that replaced the deuce/5 tons. The 395's will become as common as NDCC 9.00-20's and 11.00-20's were for the last 50 years, for many years to come. The Goodyears seem to hold up to cracking and weather checking better that the Michelins.

Heath_h49008

Every MTV and LMTV has these tires and these are the trucks that replaced the deuce/5 tons. The 395's will become as common as NDCC 9.00-20's and 11.00-20's were for the last 50 years, for many years to come. The Goodyears seem to hold up to cracking and weather checking better that the Michelins.
I have heard that as well. I'm going to save my pennies and put them on my list.

I think I'll be waiting for the price to come down a bit more though.

plumkrazy

I'll take the Goodyears anytime. They don't seem to road walk as much when you are on "grooved or rutted" paved roads. Granted the Michs seem better for all out off road but to me the Goodyears are the better "all around" tires. YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks