• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In tank pump failure, pics

scooter01922

What exactly is the purpose of all the shims??? In all the pics i have seen around here some seem to have them, some don't and some are tough to tell.

scooter01922

Guess i should have worded that differently.....what i mean is why is it that some of them look like they have one piece for that duty and some like yours are individual shims. Or is it just me, i have yet to pull my pump so i can't say i have played with one much. Looks like its all just a press fit, after years bathed in diesel vibrating around i can see why the bottom seems to fall off these so often.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those so called "shims" direct the flow of fuel to the outlet hose. The motor turns that rotor/impeller, centrifical force draws fuel into the center area of the rotor, which flings it down the little chute to the outlet. The rotor impeller, the "shim" thingies, and screen cover that holds it all together, is the "PUMP". When its disassebled, it won't pump.

If you can re-assemble the parts, perhaps the unit can be made servicable. Best to determine how it fell apart, that future heart burn, can be avoided.

Lee in Alaska

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The screen is a "pressed" in unit that holds the whole deal together......

When I put it back together I'm going drill and tap 4 holes to use screws to hold the screen/bottom plate in place.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine looked the same?

When your pump failed could you still hear it running? The reason I am asking is that mine would make no noise at all! Before I cotter pin it all back together I would like to know it has at least a change of being serviceable again.
James G.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Mine looked the same?

If the pump is not running try pulling up the wire that runs down the center of the pump. There have been a couple of occasion that the wire has worn thru and shorted the fuse. I pulled the wire out as far as possible and put some electrical tape on the wire. It worked. Saved me from purchasing a rebulit pump.$$$$

Boatcarpenter

RE: Mine looked the same?

Had the same problem only the bottom of the plastic housing that the shims and screen fit in was very chewed up, don't really know why. I was able to drill four holes through it and the screen and safety wire it together very nicely however.
BC

hmburner

in tank fuel pump failure

as long as the motor turns the impeller and the stainless shims (right name for the part is the volute) are in the right place,it makes a simple pump that should last forever. The volute and bottom pan all seem to be pressed into a plastic upper case and intake. If you drill and tap a couple of screws through it on each side of the volute,it will continue to pump trouble free till the motor will no longer turn it. Be careful when you tighten up the screws since the impeller and the volute should have a fixed clearance that you could affect. Just make sure it spins freely after you put it together

Bill

Somemedic

RE: in tank fuel pump failure

Would really like to see the oem pump post-repair. Where you boys decided to put ur scews and wires and such so's I can get an idee on how to retro/repair mine in the event 1) GL turns mine loose 2) it augers in and buys the farm

jwaller

RE: in tank fuel pump failure

it's a pretty common problem. I posted some time ago with the same issue. when you put it back together you can either use screws to hold it together or do I and others have done and safety wire it in place so it cant fall off again.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thats corrosion, Galvanic? correct term?, of the Aluminium/pot metal whatever you want to call it. The oil cooler cover on a couple of my trucks showed the same corrosion/pitting.

3rdmdqm

I just want to say thanks to FMJ and Boat Carpenter for the pics posted on this problem and all of the others who commented on a fix. My in tank pump was running but not pumping fuel and after researching this site and reading this I pulled my in tank pump and also found the bottom had fallen off. There was nothing visible in the main tank compartment, had to fish around with a magnetic telescoping rod into the side compartments through the small openings to try and locate the bottom. Finally located the bottom in the corner of the far left compartment, drilled some holes and re-installed the bottom plate with stainless steel 18 guage wire and now it works like a champ. Without the pics I would have had no clue what I was looking at or for! A BIG THANK YOU to everyone!!!!!!!:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks