• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In tank pump failure, pics

JCKnife

The new pump is on the workbench, the bracket assembly needs a good wire-brush treatment, fair amount of corrosion. Plus very rainy today. I'll be running by the weekend. :)

(or maybe Monday at the latest...)

Last edited:

SWoods

I also just ordered a new in-tank pump from Olympic Controls for $225 including gaskets. Dave was a pleasure to do business with. The part number is 311-389-1.

JCKnife

Success! She is purring like a 40-year-old camo kitten.

But...did I mention it rained a lot while she wouldn't start? And did I mention that our other vehicles, parked next to her, are white?

I'm off to the car wash...

JCKnife

One more thing I noticed: the new pump is considerably quieter than the old one. I wonder if I didn't have a non-working pump all along, and just the IP suction was drawing fuel, and then when I went to 60%+ WMO the viscosity was too great for that...

Farmun

Success! Got the new electric fuel pump installed and she's running, like a champ. Here's a couple of pictures for your viewing pleasure. Total cost, eh, about $75 for pump, fittings, and odds and ends...

Attachments

Farmun

Probably could have mounted it behind the frame rail, and it would have been a cleaner install. But I wanted it as close to the fuel as possible. Nothing that can't be changed later on down the line. For now I am running, and that was the main objective.

JCKnife

When I was planning to do the external pump I was thinking of using some kind of "project box" around it and painting it to match the truck. Both for protection and a neat appearance.

Katahdin

Yuck. This is what I was greeted with when I pulled my pump this evening. I had no idea the screen and shims and fallen off, besides reading about the possibility in this thread.

Anybody else have this brown crud? At first I thought it was rust but its non-magnetic. Could it be cosmoline? I'm half tempted to cut access holes to the other baffles like Cranetruck did so I can cleanup those areas.

At least the crud cleans up pretty well. Glad I'm doing this before attempting to drive to the Maine Rally!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Algae from water in the fuel. Get a gallon of carb cleaner, dump it in, and slosh it around. Mine was in similar shape. If you can't find carb cleaner, Xylene works good too.

Last edited:

Katahdin

Ok guys....I've confused myself....I went and diligently cleaned up the pump parts I found at the bottom of tank....went to put it back together....scratched my head.....looked at your pics again....

I've got a differently designed pump, and the parts to an old broken one, don't I? :cookoo:

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success! Got the new electric fuel pump installed and she's running, like a champ. Here's a couple of pictures for your viewing pleasure. Total cost, eh, about $75 for pump, fittings, and odds and ends...

Best. Fuel Pump Thread. Ever. Thanks everyone for your contributions. I haven't a fuel pump problem right now but it is the kind of thing that bites you when you least expect it. A lot of what I have seen here could be fixed with a field expedient repair in a pinch, and what I have learned by reading here would probably do the trick.

Farmun, for the sake of closing the loop, would you please post in this thread the part number and source for the pump you used? When someone is just looking for a part, the numbers ~really help~.