• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with a Cab Heater Recomendation

joesco

Well the NH winter is settling in and I need to install some sort of heater in Brutus. I found a great deal on depot rebuilt 60k btu multi-fuel heater, but I can't find controls for it and I think it is over-kill. I was leaning towards a muti-fuel heater because I had one in my Unimog 421 Diesel and the cab was toasty in about 5 minutes. I have been window shopping on Ebay and other sites, but have not had any luck yet.

After doing some research on the 60k btu heater I bought, it appears that it was used to heat the troop / cargo area of the Deuce. If anyone is interested in the unit, let me know and I can post / email some pics.

Seeing that my deuce is no longer stock, any and all suggestions for in-expensive heat would be greatly appreciated.

BEASTMASTER

look up hunter heaters and you get find some decent size heaters for construction equipment. esp. catterpillar equip. all are 24 volt too.

jatonka

Help with a cab heater

Go to Maradyne, look at their 5000 series heaters and larger, they come in 24 volt. Made i USA and by the company who makes the Air-O-Matic air asssist steering for the M35 Deuce. they are good to deal with. If you have a problem, PM me and I can fix you up. JT out

TommyG45

RE: Help with a cab heater

Just purchase a Maradyne 5000, cost 115.00 I will be hooking it in this weekend, I will let you know how it goes.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Help with a cab heater

Model 5000

Model # Part #
5000-12V 500012
5000-24V 500024
Features:
High Efficiency Heating
Multi-speed Fan Control Switch with Dash -Mount Bracket
Capable of Providing Windshield Defrost
Rigid Steel Case With Black Finish
Heavy-duty, Long Life Motor
Mounting Studs and Water Hose Connections at Rear
Compact Design
Optional Installation Kits:
64006, KT-12 Hose Kit (150")

Service Parts:
Part Name Part #
5000-12V Motor 53005
5000-24V Motor 53006
Coil 61315
Fan Blade 61320
Cover Assembly 61312
Body Assembly 61311
Switch 61325

Model No. 5000
Heating: 12,500 btu/hr.
Air Flow Heating: 130 cfm
Air Flow Defrosting: 35 cfm
Power Requirements: 1.5 amps @ 12 volts
.75 amps @ 24 volts
Case Material: 22 ga. c.r. Steel
Core Material: Tube and Fin
Fan Material: Aluminum
Fittings: Bead
Mounting: Rear Mounting Studs
Dimensions: Height: 6-7/8"
Length: 6-7/8"
Depth: 7-1/4"

joesco

Re: RE: Help with a cab heater

Doesn't happen very often to me at least... ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!!!!

Dang, all you guys are such a great resource.

TommyG45

RE: Re: RE: Help with a cab heater

Joe,

PM sent, gimp, thanks for the extra data. I will scan the mounting template and directions on Monday when I get back to the office. I got mine for $115.00 not including shipping, got a few parts from NAPA. Once I get everything mounted, I will post again.

Cheers

Tommy

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really interested also. The website says "capable of defrost". I'd sure like to see what anyone has done regarding defrost and where to mount the unit.

TommyG45

Yes, it is capable of defrost, but must be plummed in. Quick update, I started to mount the 5000 yesterday and just ran out of time between holloween parties for the kids, birthdays, and broken tools. As it turns out, I got the location picked out, holes drilled, hose cut, plug on the water pump loosened, all I have to do now is get a bigger hole drill, mine only goes up to 7/8, template calls for 1 inch, I may go even bigger so I can move things around again. I took pictures, so when I get this thing moving, I will post everything. Will continue to work on it more today. All in all, not a horrible task.

Tommy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want cheap heat, grab a kit from an M151 and bolt that unit inside under the glove compartment. Not 100% correct but they work great, are plentiful, are green and are affordable. You will have many extra parts but so what.

TommyG45

Update to the update.

Got the 5000 mounted to the firewall, it looks good, fits real nice, and doesn't really look like it never belonged there. Thats the good news. After buying a 40$ multi-bit that gave me the 1 inch holes through the firewall and getting her in place, I went to hook up the hoses. I knew I might have a clearence issue between the heater tubes and the engine to the point where the hose would kink. Don't want that so I purchased some 90 degree elbows thinking this might be a problem before I even started. I am still about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch too short on space to get the elbows connected the way I want them. The mounting hardware on the heater it self will allow me to move the heater back more than enough to get everything connectd the right way. I need to make some stand offs for the mounts and reconfigure. Out of time for this weekend.

I got pics, and as soon as my wife uploads them to snapfish, I will include in the post.

All in all, it's going to look real nice, and the size is perfect.

Tommy

TommyG45

Hey Joe,

The heater comes with a vairable speed switch. I think I will run two lines from the battery to the cab, one @ the full 24 volts for the heater, the other @ 12 volts for the stuff I will eventually run in the future.

It's getting there, hopefully I will have it operational by the end of next week. I need to make a home depot run pretty soon, the guys there love the truck.

Tommy

joesco

Tommy,
Really appreciate you documenting the install. I am a big fan of "not re-inventing the wheel" or this case the deuce heater.

Please be careful when wiring up 12v accessories in this truck. I did something similar in one of my M37's and toasted both batteries.

I think the better way to go is wiring up a 24v to 12v similar to this unit...

http://www.walcottcb.com/vr1a-voltage-reducer-24-to-12-volt-p-53.html

TommyG45 said:
Hey Joe,

The heater comes with a vairable speed switch. I think I will run two lines from the battery to the cab, one @ the full 24 volts for the heater, the other @ 12 volts for the stuff I will eventually run in the future.

It's getting there, hopefully I will have it operational by the end of next week. I need to make a home depot run pretty soon, the guys there love the truck.

Tommy

Alex400

TommyG45 said:
Hey Joe,

Tommy
Little off topic, but how do you pull 12 volts off of a 24volt system?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks