• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with a Cab Heater Recomendation

TommyG45

Hey Joe,

I was going to create a simple voltage divider with a couple of high wattage power resistors so I could keep the 24VDC across both batteries going into the device and 12VDC off the center tap. We call them voltage dividers where I am from. Or, I could get off my wallet, and just spend the 40 bucks to get one already done. Hummm, logic would suggust buying it, but the hill billy in me says rip apart an old TV and have a field day.

I wonder which way the voices in my head will ultimatly end up going?

But for the heater, it's straight 24VDC from the battery to a fused accessory panel. No real mods required for that.

Thanks for the heads up though.

TommyG45

Good evening all.

Thought I would give everyone a quick update. The heater is fully installed, and wired up. Took two weekends to get everything going just working on it where and when I could. The 12K BTU heater seems to work real well, ended up spending more time in the plumbing section of Lowes than I really wnated to.

For those of you going down the Mardyne route, location is key. As I found out, installing under the dash was a bit tight when connecting everything up inside the engine compartment, but now that I am done, it was well worth it. I will grab some shots of the final assembly process when it stops raining and snowing.

Initial results, I probably won't be using the truck in sub zero weather, but after letting the motor warm up, I was getting some great heat in the cab. My expectations are completely satisfied. It has a two speed fan Lo/Hi setting, puts ot great heat, I really like the location in the cab and I am into it for around 175.00 with some of the odds and ends I ended up getting to hook it in. Cost of the multi bits not included as I usually don't figure cost of tools as I always use them for other projects.

I would recommend this with no problem, I would be interested to know if anyone has ever mounted them under the passenger seat.

Again, final pics to follow, weather was too crappy today.

Tommy

TommyG45

Tommy,
Thanks for the all updates. Looking forward to your final pics. Where did you purchase your heater? Thanks again!
Hey Joe,

Got it from here:

http://visionaire-inc.com/Heaters/2009_Heater_Specials.html?gclid=CMqJ58G265YCFQHHGgodTjyxPA

As I look at what I did, the 6000 is only 95.00 not including shipping, 20 bucks cheaper than the 5000, and 2500 more btu if you don't need directional heat control. Lookiing at the 6000, it would be a lot easier to install. When I get the pics posted, you will see why. I don't see anymore 5000s at the price I paid on that sight anymore, I see them in other places for around 150 ish...

Tommy

Ronbo

Pictures !!! I like it.... Also if someone has an extra blower motor , I could use one. And I see they make a converter for24 to 12 volt and its 10 amps, do they make a 20-30 amp unit or do I need to purchase 2-3 10 amp ones? I'm wanting to put a Killer sterio in the Deuce ( not sure what it will pull....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks