• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify This Firetruck!

Elwenil

So I saw this posted on Pirate4x4 as a possible donor of the Rockwell axles for an off road project. It may or may no belong here in the Deuce section, but it has Deuce axles but is probably has more in common with the older Deuce. Either way it will get more attention here I think. So can anyone ID it? Is it worth saving? I've requested more pics and info from any data plates that may survive. I know there are a few guys here who mess with the old MV firetrucks so I thought I would post up about it. I'm not real big on the "save every one" crusade, but this is something somewhat unusual and that I have never seen before. Any comments?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pics of that model of truck have been posted here before. Someone that knows it will be along soon!

Elwenil

Thank you, David! I knew someone here would have info on this odd looking truck. I wonder if it's worth saving? I believe it's located in WV. When I hear back from the owner I will inquire if it's for sale and see if it's ok to put anyone interested in touch with him.

FrankUSMC

There was the remains of one at White Owl Parts company in Kinston, NC. It has been years sence I have been back in the yard were it was. Might be gone now.
One of my fellow Crash Crewman has a photo of one that took a mortor hit in early Viet Nam.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

tamangel

From the 'Observers Military Vehicles Directory from 1945 by Vanderveen page 365

Truck, Crash, Fire and Rescue Type O-6 (Cardox)
Continental R6602-99
6 cyl
240 bhp
5F1R x2
300 X 98 X 127
NSW 19545
Spicer Transmission
TIMKEN-DETROIT TRANSFER AND AXLES (SAME AS 2 1/2 TON 6X6)
Employed for emergency rescue work using carbon dioxide as fire extinguishing agent
Tyres 1200-20

Mike

http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/af.html

http://www.militaryfirefighterheritage.com/holloman.htm

Attachments

Last edited:

Somemedic

Im guessing thats a Q-siren...

Would like to see an old vid of that thing 'doin it' on a tarmack. Dont think Id wanna get out to deploy the boom. From the stance it looks like theres no weight on the front axle though.

Fireman5230

The Truck was full of CO2. No water or foam. The Circles were where the CO2 came out. Also a handline was able to be used. The one on the boom could get over the area the CO2 was needed. The one at the bumper moved on its own left to right...

jopickens

Specifically you guys earlier in the thread referenced a R6602 Continental engine, as did the nomenclature sheet... where this truck appears to have an IH engine of some sort.

Avn-Tech

fireman 5230,

Is that you infront of the O-11A?

I have an O-11B that I am restoring. I have seen one other O-11B and heard of a second one. But these are the only O-11B's I have been able to locate.

I know there are O-11A's at:
1. USAF Museum, Wright Patterson AFB
2. Edwards AFB Museum
3. McClellan AFB Museum

Laterrrrrrr
Avn-Tech

jopickens

I thought I remember reading last night somewhere they only produced 79 of these guys? I'm not sure if that was for 1955 or 1955-59. I'll try and dig it back up... Guys at binderplanet seem to think the engine might be an RD-450 (Red Diamond).
Here are some more pics I have found...

here is Pax Rivers 0-6, 1955 White-Cardox, USN 71-00974

Another Memphis AFB rig, 1955 White-Cardox, O-6, USAF 55L4397

Link w/more pics if you haven't seen enough... haha
http://www.dodfire.net/fire_vehicles/PhotoAlbum.asp?ShowSub=0-6

Fireman5230

Avn-Tech - no that is an offical USAF Photo...
I have been researching the O-11A for almost 10 years off and on. Here is what I have so far:
2 - at Logan County Airport, Lincoln, IL (1 on display - 1 for parts) They also have an O-11B here.
1 - at Robins AFB, GA
1 - McClellan AFB, CA
1 - Goodfellow AFB, TX
Also 1 was in a resent movie "From Here To The Moon" It was assigned to Edwards AFB... unsure of it's location.

As for O-11Bs...
I knew of 2 plus the 1 above... There was one (Maybe yours) in Private hands. One of the trucks was sold from Barksdale AFB... Unsure what will happen to it.

Any information or Photos of your B would be great.... Detail shots in the cab and compartments as well. Feel free to email me at - jb3smith@yahoo.com
Hope this helps you.
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks