• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify This Firetruck!

welldigger

Avn-Tech - no that is an offical USAF Photo...
I have been researching the O-11A for almost 10 years off and on. Here is what I have so far:
2 - at Logan County Airport, Lincoln, IL (1 on display - 1 for parts) They also have an O-11B here.
1 - at Robins AFB, GA
1 - McClellan AFB, CA
1 - Goodfellow AFB, TX
Also 1 was in a resent movie "From Here To The Moon" It was assigned to Edwards AFB... unsure of it's location.

As for O-11Bs...
I knew of 2 plus the 1 above... There was one (Maybe yours) in Private hands. One of the trucks was sold from Barksdale AFB... Unsure what will happen to it.

Any information or Photos of your B would be great.... Detail shots in the cab and compartments as well. Feel free to email me at - jb3smith@yahoo.com
Hope this helps you.
John
I remember seeing that fire truck at the static displays on Barksdale. That thing was here for probably 10 to 15 years. I am not sure who bought it or where it went but I did see it listed on GL. It was in pretty rough shape. Again it was a static display outdoors at the aircraft museum on Barksdale. If it was like some of the other displays the engine/tranny would have been missing and possibly the pumps. Most of the static displays whether aircraft or vehicle are basically hollow shells.

jopickens

Latest on the air force fire truck... finally found the data plates for this thing. They were mounted facing outboard in the passenger footwell/step. Well - this has been full of leaves for years due to the passenger door being smashed in and inoperable. Big prybar later so we could have two points of entry to work on it - there were the nomenclature tags!
Changed the oil (3 gallons of 30w) and oil cartridge filter (1251 napa)... Fired right up! Carb has many issues... Probably make/buy an adapter plate for it and bolt on one of my 4150s.

This one, if isn't exact... is close enough to make work (I roughly measured 3-15/16 square pattern on the IH 4bl )
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley-Flathead-Carburetor-Adapter,5551.html
◦Side to side is 3-3/4" center to center
◦Front to rear is 3-7/8" center to center

So on with the pics!

2nd data plate information is as follows:
Serial No: D-391
Order No: AF40/604/9608
Vehicle Weight Unloaded: 19150
Vehicle Weight Maximum: 24150
Date of Delivery: 4-13-60

Now off to search for the manuals listed on the 1st data plate.
I looked once more for numbers stamped into the IH block - there is a small machined pad near the numbers I previously posted a pic of near the rear drivers side top of block - but nothing stamped on it. Any more specifics on where I should be looking for potentially RD-450 or RD-501 to be stamped... or some other # I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Josh

jopickens

I posted a new reply up last night w/4 new pics. What is the story on moderator approval? I've searched this site a number of times looking for instructions and/or a guide to tell me how and or why this proccess works/occurs. I also donated $15 a little while ago after realizing there was a way to help out etc.
Josh

jopickens

I'll try the picture post I attmpted last night with smaller pics.....

Latest on the air force fire truck... finally found the data plates for this thing. They were mounted facing outboard in the passenger footwell/step. Well - this has been full of leaves for years due to the passenger door being smashed in and inoperable. Big prybar later so we could have two points of entry to work on it - there were the nomenclature tags!
Changed the oil (3 gallons of 30w) and oil cartridge filter (1251 napa)... Fired right up! Carb has many issues... Probably make/buy an adapter plate for it and bolt on one of my 4150s.

This one, if isn't exact... is close enough to make work (I roughly measured 3-15/16 square pattern on the IH 4bl )
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley-Flathead-Carburetor-Adapter,5551.html
◦Side to side is 3-3/4" center to center
◦Front to rear is 3-7/8" center to center

So on with the pics!

2nd data plate information is as follows:
Serial No: D-391
Order No: AF40/604/9608
Vehicle Weight Unloaded: 19150
Vehicle Weight Maximum: 24150
Date of Delivery: 4-13-60

I looked once more for numbers stamped into the IH block - there is a small machined pad near the numbers I previously posted a pic of near the rear drivers side top of block - but nothing stamped on it. Any more specifics on where I should be looking for potentially RD-450 or RD-501 to be stamped... or some other # I should be looking for?

Now off to search for the manuals listed on the 1st data plate.

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a Red Diamind engine this may help.

General
The Model RD, Super Red Diamond engine is a 4-cycle, 6-cylinder-in-line, overhead valve type engine (Fig. 1). The engine serial number is stamped on a pad at the front on the left side of the crankcase just below the cylinder head. The block has dry-type replaceable liners for the cylinder. The detachable cylinder head contains all valves, valve guides, and springs. The cylinders are numbered from front (fan and timing gear end) to rear. Engine crankshaft rotation is clockwise, as viewed from the front end ofthe vehicle. The intake and exhaust manifold, carburetor, and generator are located on the right side of the engine. The distributor, starter, fuel pump, and oil filter are located on the left side. The oil filler inlet is located on the left side of engine at the front. The bayonnet type oil level gauge is located on the left side. The water pump is located at the front of engine.

jopickens

Do you guys think - since this air force fire truck was a SRW 6x6 by design - with 12.00 x 20 tires (has 11.00 x 20s on it now) - that the factory wheels would have been wider than a typical DRW deuce of that era?
I'm looking at procuring a set of 395s for it and am hoping the stock wheels will work out etc.

Last edited:

jopickens

Neat vid - the 20sec. and 1min marks show the cardox.
Nothing to report on the restore/reuse etc. Purchased a carb adapter plate to put a 4bbl on it - nothing actually installed yet.
Josh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks