• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce e-brake questions

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good morning,

The other day, my e-brake hung up and didn't want to release. I got it free, but apparently not all the way, as the inner shoe grooved the inside of the brake drum (couple of blue spots, multiple grooves, irregular pattern{s}).

So last night, I am pulling it all apart and found the culprit (I think)-the inner pivot appears to be frozen up. No big deal, I am going to disassemble it, break it free, clean it up, etc.

But the inner shoe is pretty thin, so I am gonna go ahead and replace it.

My question peertains to the drum: Can it be turned and if so, do I run the risk of it being turned to the point that it is too thin for the shoes to effectivly clamp?

Also, having some PC issues this morning and having a problem opening TM's-is getting the drum off any problem?

Thanks in advance

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drum comes off easily as far as I know. I wouldn't waste an effort in turning the drum. If the shoes are adjusted correctly it will work good. Just remember, it's a parking brake, not an emergency brake. They suck as an emergency brake. Considering this, the brakes aren't supposed to be applied until the truck is stopped, therefore and surface short of flaking rust should be a good clamping surface. I had to bend my horseshoe spring to get mine adjusted. Until that, no matter what I did it would drag. You gonna see about getting it relined Clintio?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You gonna see about getting it relined Clintio?
Well, KC Gonzo has had e-brake shoes (pairs) on eBay before, but not now. I sent him an email.

Saturn has the outer, not the inner, but the prices are plum retarded.

So unless Bernie responds to my email, I guess I will be looking to get it relined! rofl

I will post pics of the inner drum tonight and see what you guys think, I would rather just throw a new shoe(s) on it and run.......

Had to bend your horseshoe, hunh?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats why I asked, they are stupid expensive. I need to find a reliner down here. I have plenty of shoes, they're just mostly worn out.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a set of shoes, less linings off a guy on e-bay for 5 bucks. Had them re lined for 45 bucks. The lining isn't the asbestos stuff, it's woven, but the e-brake works great. If you can't find a place to re line it locally, I have my old set. I'll get them lined and send them to you, you send your old ones to me.

acetomatoco

Gotta keep em greased and oiled all the rotating lever points... and on my trucks, I add a second release spring..the little anti rattle spring is a wonderful thing too...The early versions of the cable had a grease fittingl and were steel wrapped...what wonderful items... Now you can spray sjpeedocable lube down the conduit in the cab and the carbon will be a fine lubricant to keep the moisture out... RAM

CGarbee

Kenny,
If you can't find a reliner down your way, I have a guy accross town that did mine for $20 using the new friction material and rivets that I got from Memphis. Said he had to finesse the machine a bit since the shoes are so much smaller than service brake ones, but he did a really nice job. You can send them to me and I can get them done for you to pick up on the way to Aberdeen, or you could drop them off on the way up and collect on the way home...

Clinto:
I have a good, spare, inner shoe that was left over from my repair of the parking brake setup. I got one set relined, got a second set on the shelf that has a good inner shoe with an outer shoe that has no lining...

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: Will Wagner

Thanks very much for the offer, but I am afraid I will probably have to take up Garbee on his offer. When you see the pics below, you'll see why.

Re: AceTomatoCo

Yes, I had given the truck the FULL lube service about a month after I bought it (Aug.-'06). I even got the throwout bearing linkage. When I saw this was froze up, I tried to put some more in, but it did no good. I found out why later.....

Re: Jwaller

As of now, I think I am gonna leaver the drum on, you guys look at the pics and tell me what you'd do

Re: Garbee

I think I will be taking that one off your hands sir!! rofl. Because judging from the pics below, mine ain't gonna' get relined! rofl

Also, I found my e-brake cable has developed a slit in it about 8" long-so when you lube it, instead of the cable being lubed, it squirts all the lube out. Don't remember it being that way, so I guess maybe the cold weather cracked it.................. I'll have to see if Saturn or somebody has new ones........

Attachments

jwaller

that one looks ready for the scrap pile(shoe). if it were mine I'd prob replace the drum. just bc I like new stuff and I know it will work. a good used one would do just as nicely.

want to be careful to inspect the used ones bc if they were attached to a xcase that was removed you can easily drop the xcase on the ground unsupported and bend the drum.(I've done it).

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I thought mine were bad! I kept hearing a rattling. Turned out to be the rivits bouncing around. Found out it was time to change them when I set the brake and the truck rolled into the fence.

CGarbee

Ouch, that hurts...
PM me an address and I'll send the shoe down to you. I've got some stuff to ship this weekend anyway...

JDToumanian

Wow, that's nasty! I agree with jwaller, it would be nice to change the drum... But I doubt I would if it were my truck because to get the drum off, not only does the drive shaft have to come off (no big deal), but the drive flange has to come off the transfer case rear output. That sounds like a PITA to me!

Jon

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, I reckon I will get the inner shoe from garbee, as Gonzo wants $70 for a set of ebrake shoes (with linings).

Now, on to the e-brake cable. I see Saturn has a new one for $39, but it doesn't have a zerk like mine does.

What would you guys do, look for a good original with a zerk or just live with the new one?

Attachments

CGarbee

Neither of my trucks have a zerk on the ebrake cable, and they work fine... Of course, I'd rather have something with a grease fitting, but what I have is what Saturn sells, only mine came that way from Uncle Sugar...

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Jason, I didn't realize there were 2 different cables. I have the old school release handle (not the one with the adjustment knob on top).

I will have to ask Saturn when I call them

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a new brake cable from saturn about 6 months ago, no lube fitting. Also have the newer style brake handle, it fit without any problems.

Dennis

Last edited:

devilman96

Kenny I can do the shoes here if you have the liiners / rivets. If its something ya got to pull apart or the likes and is easier to do on the spot at your place your welcome to my riveting tools.

jwaller

I just noticed on my new 5Ton that I don't have the little adjuster ball or wing nut setup. if anybody has that ball that goes into the brake shoe arm I need one. I can find a wing nut and locknut local.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks