• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

04A084 Slick magneto internal timing?

AMGeneral

Ok folks,

After searching the TM on these engines as well as scouring the threads,I haven't found the answer I need.

I have a 04A084 military standard engine with the Slick model 4220 magneto,I took it apart to clean the points(it had no spark),

and now I need to know how to re time the rotor the lower gear.

Any pictures would be helpful or a link to the TM that covers this particular magneto.

The TM is straightforward as how to time it to the engine,once I get the mag back together.

epitts

Ok folks,After searching the TM on these engines as well as scouring the threads,I haven't found the answer I need.I have a 04A084 military standard engine with the Slick model 4220 magneto,I took it apart to clean the points(it had no spark),and now I need to know how to re time the rotor the lower gear.Any pictures would be helpful or a link to the TM that covers this particular magneto.The TM is straightforward as how to time it to the engine,once I get the mag back together.
Try this http://splashurl.com/ne6bkzx

AMGeneral

I think I have it figured out,

With the rotor button gear pinned in the Right rotation hole, the contact is pointing at the #1 cylinder plug wire.

Then rotating the mag to align the cam with the points allows the Right rotation point on the opposite gear to align with the hole on the rotor gear.

3 shocks and several checks later,I believe it is firing the #1 cylinder at this point,we'll see how it does back on the engine tomorrow evening.

epitts

Got this from a friend

You can find Slick overhaul manuals online if you search. Not sure about the 4220 manual, but you can find them on the 4300 series and they
work the same. There is a pin that goes from the distributer housing through the hole in the big gear that aligns it with the #1 position. I use a piece of
appropriately sized stainless welding rod and have used a paperclip in a pinch although you really need a little bigger diameter. The gear on
the side that has the coil is aligned with another tool. Look at the picture in the manual and you will see how it is done. Once you see how
it aligns you can eyeball it if you don't have the tool.

Slick mags are very easy to work on, much easier than Bendix to align.

http://splashurl.com/k6as8yj

AMGeneral

Got this from a friend

You can find Slick overhaul manuals online if you search. Not sure about the 4220 manual, but you can find them on the 4300 series and they
work the same. There is a pin that goes from the distributer housing through the hole in the big gear that aligns it with the #1 position. I use a piece of
appropriately sized stainless welding rod and have used a paperclip in a pinch although you really need a little bigger diameter. The gear on
the side that has the coil is aligned with another tool. Look at the picture in the manual and you will see how it is done. Once you see how
it aligns you can eyeball it if you don't have the tool.

Slick mags are very easy to work on, much easier than Bendix to align.

http://splashurl.com/k6as8yj
By a stroke of luck and some simple figuring,I actually aligned the mag exactly as the manual above stated without ever looking at the manual.

Thanks[thumbzup]