• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 ton diff - any use?

Tanner

Okay, so what value is there in a 1989 GMC 3500 rear diff from my parts truck?

I'm looking to yerk the 6.2 out this weekend & sell the TH400 trans & possibly the diff - or just let the rolling hulk disappear from the driveway when the heart of the truck is removed... :)

Tanner

mangus580

Tanner, do you know if it is a locking rear end or not?

Being a 3500, it should be a Corp 14b Full Floater. I wonder what gears are in it...

Whats the rest of the truck like? Glass, interior parts, fuel tank, etc might be useful to people with 1008's.

tannier do know if its is 4x4 and include front axle also

Also like mangus580 said do you know if its locking rear end or not?

i got some family that lives close to you and will be coming there soon. Got a guy here looking for the axles, and im interested in other parts. i could get you some decent money for the axles if you are interested in selling them front, and rear. Pm me with what all you are trying to get rid of.
thanks

AJMBLAZER

The important question is, being a '89 is it the 88-98 body style or the 73-87(91) body style. There was some overlappage of the two body styles.

A plain ol' 14FF could easily get $100 but not much more unless it's got good gears and/or a traction aid. 14FF's are more commmon than the D60 so they won't go for the big bucks.

mangus580

Re: RE: 1 ton diff - any use?

AJMBLAZER said:
The important question is, being a '89 is it the 88-98 body style or the 73-87(91) body style. There was some overlappage of the two body styles.
Oh Crap, how did I forget that!!!

aua

Tanner

It's a 2wd truck, I bought it for the 6.2 engine & had planned to scrap the rest of the truck...

It's the 89-up body style truck, close to 200k on chassis - had replacement 6.2 installed - rots o'rust in bed & rockers, mechanicals are good, so I'm putting the trans up for sale & was considering putting the rear axle up for sale for a Benjamin... but posted here because I don't know, without doing a bunch of research, whether it fits any CUCV's or not -

As far as gearing or traction aids are concerned, until I locate a build sheet, I have no clue...

Tanner

Tanner

It's a good diff, we've been driving the truck, but I don't need it for the M37/6.2 swap, so I figured I'd look to cash it before scrapping it -

Tanner

Tanner

I'll be looking at the truck/working on it this weekend - will check & see; hope to con Cabell into helping pull engine out Sunday afternoon!

Tanner

mangus580

Croatan_Kid said:
Had it been 4wd it would have had a solid front axle. 1-tons, K5s and 'Burbs stayed SFA until '90 or '91 I believe.
I think that was only true of the old style trucks... Making only the dually/crew cabs SFA

AJMBLAZER

It's more confusing than that actually. In 88 you could get a regular cab 3/4 ton and 1 ton in the old body style or the new one. The old style trucks are rare though.
By 89 it was only the crew cabs 1 tons that were the old body style. Crewcab chassis cabs, pickups, and duallies where all old style while any regular or extended cab truck was the newer style with IFS.

Tanner

Offroadfabworks said:
tanner does it happen to be a crew cab?
No sir - it's a civilian 2 door cab GMC 3500 truck - '89-up body style, not the CUCV style cab...

Cabell & I were discussing the merits of keeping the diff under the truck for ease of hauling the carcass away after removing the 6.2 - Was curious to know if diff was worth $100 to anyone, thus the reason for my post...

Tanner

Tanner

CCATLETT1984 said:
that rear axle if it hasent been rebuilt would be worth ~$75 since @ 200K its in dire need of a rebuild.
Agreed, but if I start at $100, it's easier to go down on price, right? :wink:

Tanner

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks