• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 Steering wobble from bump

scrambled

I had the wobble in mine. At 40ish you could feel it a little and if you hit a pothole at 40 it was time to hang on or slam on the brakes. I took apart the knuckles and you could see the kingpins themselves were a little worn. i bought 2 rebuild kits from east Coast gear supply and you could feel how the new bushings would tighten down against the new kingpins, but remain loose on the older kingpins. It took some beating and cussing, but new kingpins, bushings, springs, and lower bearings fixed the wobble.

I hit a few bad spots on purpose to try to get a little wobble. I couldn't feel a thing.

Travis

Milbikes

It is also possible that the steering damper is shot, and the rest of the steering components are within spec. and don't need replacing. If after a steering damper is replaced, and the wobble problem never happens again, it might be throwing money away to replace other steering parts WITHOUT inspecting them first. Inspection of steering parts is the only way to know for sure what needs to be replaced.

OldDominionIron2

Check for a worn Pitman on coming off the steering box. My 98 Ram 1500 did the same thing after going over railroad tracks. Replacing the pitman arm solved the problem.