• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

-10to -15 degree start up with 1009

rsh4364

When its -10 or below the only way I can get it to start is with a 2-3 second squirt of ether,my glow plugs are manual only.I spin motor till I see white smoke from tailpipes,then hit with ether for 2 seconds and it starts right up quickly.No GPs.Is this acceptable?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried following the instructions on the visor?

Skinny

Probably fine if you are not turning the GP's on but...

Is it not starting with the correct amount of glow? You may have another issue with the fuel or failing GP's if its not starting with the correct systems in place. I think your method would be something to use in a pinch when stranded and not an acceptable means of normal operation.

cucvrus

I use low impact starting fluid. I got 2 cans from a salesman and he said it is less volatile then regular starting fluid. Sometimes a man just gotta do what he gotta do to get going. I always find it easier with 2 guys one inside turning it over and the other just giving it a small spray into the filter housing. A small squirt is all it takes and have the throttle at 1/4 and catch it the first time so it starts running on the diesel right away. It is a necessary evil at times. If it is your only form of transportation I feel your pain. Been there and done that. I even call a few people I know when it gets cold and they have CUCV's and tell them don't even try starting the CUCV today it is to cold. They find another way to get into work or I pick them up. My advise is CUCV's are nice 11 1/2 months out of the year. On them days that it is to cold out. Find another form of transportation. Because either way cold weather is hard on the 30 year old iron. And newer gas stuff starts easier and is easier on the driver and vehicle all around at that temperature. Good Luck. keep it going how ever you must and don't over do it. use moderation and you will be fine.

cucvrus

Put a block heater on it.
Not everyone has that as option. Some people live in an apartment. Some people live in neighborhoods where they do not have access to an electrical outlet. Where they have on street parking. At this point my real world advise would be for the 4 weeks a year that you experience extreme cold weather. Make other arrangements for transportation. Another vehicle or share a ride with a friend. It is usually that early morning cold start up that is the issue. I have not run mine since Sunday. I will go out now and try to start them. It was still 3 at 0800 today. Not 30 year old diesel engine weather.

rsh4364

I don't normally even start it when below -5,but its my only vehicle right now.I know I need new batts. and a new/rebuilt IP.But im laid off and have no extra $ right now.

rsh4364

No access to elect.I do live in an apartment building and upstairs to boot.This is my third winter spraying when below -5,starts pretty good on glowplugs when above 0,like I stated I do have fuel and batt. issues.but no $,and I do have block heaters for it but not installed.Whats the point when I have nowhere to plug in.I actually considered a portable generator but don't think neighbors would like that.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fix your issues.

It should start just fine.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
find yourself a fuel fired coolant heater , runs on the vehicles power , I know that I've seen them here for sale , plumbs into your coolant and fuel system , this is also part of the arctic heater system, one way to get around the no power problem,

cucvrus

Rick I would help you out if you were closer. Keep doing what you are doing and keep in mind that what you are doing is very dangerous and you will be fine. Don't encourage others to do the same. And advise them that you are a trained professional and they should not try this at home. That covers you under the law. Keep on getting it done. Or get out the Malibu and drive that in the winter. NOT.

MarcusOReallyus

like I stated I do have fuel and batt. issues.but no $,

That's a tough situation. BTDT. It's easy for those who have money to tell you just to spend money, but when you don't have it, well, it's not so easy.

Have you looked into Interstate blems? I've heard you can pick them up for $50 apiece. That might still be more than you can manage, but it's worth looking into if it fits your (non-existent) budget. Group 31s will do you just fine.

hoplite666

Not safe. In many ways. But if you're desperate a propane powered radiant heater under the truck. Aiming up at the oil pan. Left running overnight. I'd feel safe doing this in my driveway. Not sure about an apartment complex parking lot.
images (2).jpg images.jpg

Not sure how long the gas would last. But a 20lb pound tank like shown in the first pic. with the burners rigged up on the ground safely under the truck and a length of hose running to the cylinder off to the side.
Come to think of it, don't some of the duece and 5 ton guys use radiant heaters intended for livestock rigged up under their rigs like this?

Last edited:

cucvrus

That is going to be costly. I think the man is saying he is on a tight budget right now. I do have my doubts on the effectiveness of this method. A slight breeze and the heat is swept from the intended target. Besides a police officer and fire marshal would frown on an open fire under someones vehicle along the street or in an apartment complex. I don't think that is a win win for the vehicle or the owner. Sorry not to argue.

hoplite666

Safety issues aside, I don't think cost would be too bad. Seeing as how running my block heater uses something like $5 of power a night. 20lb propane cylinders can be refilled for $13.99 near me. Let's say you go out 5 hours before you're supposed to wake up and fire it up. I'm betting you'd get 4 or 5 uses out of a 20lb tank. Furthermore, the heating elements would be placed only a few inches from the oil pan. You wouldn't loose any heat due to wind.
As I said, if you're desperate, it's wort a try.
Some loving neighbor could just swipe your tank, then your screwed so I dunno.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those propane radiant heaters will work, however they will require an hour or more of close contact to heat up the oil pan enough to improve starting. A better alternative, in my opinion, is a propane convention heater which will transfer a substantial amount of BTU's in a short period of time. W.W. Grainger has a 25,000 BTU unit for $204.00, Model 6BY71. The unit is only 13" tall and requires no electricity. The heat goes straight up and it sounds like a jet engine. It hooks to a standard 20 gal tank with a hose and regulator. I borrowed one of these back in 1989 when it was -20. My 6.2 didn't even want to turn over it was so cold. I placed the heater under my oil pan, hooked it up to a tank out of my BBQ grill, and fired that baby up. The amount of heat it quickly put into my oil pan and engine was unbelievable. I let it run for 3 or 4 minutes and the engine cranked up with one cycle of glow plugs. At -20. Go to w.w. Grainger and search for 6BY71.

I am going to order one today for my emergency box. Here's a photo -

6BY71 Propane Heater.jpg

UPDATE: I just bought one from Grainger. It comes with the tank regulator and 10' hose.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Some folks on here just don't seem to understand the 'no money' concept! If you have to use starting fluid then use it, just make sure the GLOW PLUGS ARE DISCONNECTED AND ARE COOL!!!! Starting fluid isn't good for the engine but the REAL damage comes from it igniting on contact with a hot glow plug and that causes all sorts of problems such as worn crank/rod bearings, damaged pistons,broken rods/crank ect.
With all that said I've been in a situation where I used either for a couple weeks , pia but no problems

Westech

CPL
If you don't have a pot to piss in maybe a old MV is not a good choice .... I'm just sayin. My pop told me when I was young is if your going to do something do it right or don't do it at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks