• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 Volt Power - Deuce with 3 or 4 batteries

tm america

part number for the 30 dollar alt is 7127 from autozone.it's a value craft..I never said the equalizer is a piece of crap.i didn.t say the equalizer was what i would be worried about.I said i would worry about hopw good the stock 40 yr old alt will do charging three or more batteries ..i'm not saying the equalizer will fail more or less than the extra 12 volt alt..i'm saying if it does or the stock alt fails from the extra load you will be left with a truck that doesnt start. with the dual alt set up you don't have to worry about that as you are making no changes to the stock electrical system like you would be with the equalizer

Stalwart

TM, I already agreed with you!!!! 2 - one wire alternators would be best for a Deuce, I don't know what else you want?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm told I got lucky making the change when I did. My original alt made electricity for the whole two years I had it, never made a sound, but the gauge was always in the lower red. I swapped it to a 24 volt one wire when I did the 12 volt mod. I boxed the old 24 volt alt (minus pulley) up and sent it free to another member. He informs me it was DOA. Who knows how much life it had left in it on my truck?

The new alt reads in the lower red on the gauge too. I can fry several of them at $123 each (new not rebuilt) for the cost of one original style. Fits MY needs perfectly - it may not be the right thing for others. George puts out a good kit and it's cheaper now than when I bought mine. My back was really AFU at the time so Soldier B did 99% of the work (ok he usually does 99% anyway) so it's that easy to install.

Trust me - if his kit was garbage, I would say so. I may brag on it like a paid salesman, but it's because I like it that much.

tm america

since you're making an effort to poo-poo the equalizer, what failure mode of the equalizer is lesser than your *for sale* kit?

and what's the failure rate of compared components (equalizer vs China alternator)? since you're making statements, you must know the answer...
i would have no idea of the failure rate of the equalizer compared to a china alt?My kit uses delco american made alts..That many of us have laying around the garage from a old chevy..Where is the equalizer you are using made at?

tm america

Last time i checked delco alts were made in kokomo ,in ..And i know my brackets are made in indiana to..Not saying that a international company like that doesn't have plants all over the world..Not sure what brand equalizers are out there ..but delco is a tried and true maker of alts for almost 100yrs i wouldn't call them a junk product.If you own an american made car .You would mostly likely have some delco parts on your daily driver

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Delco is a global company that supplies over 100,000 parts across 37 product lines - including Toyota, Honda, etc. (info from their web site)

The 10si alt is one of the most copied in the world. (info from an article I read awhile back)

I no longer have the box (which may have given a clue as to where it was made - maybe not), so I don't know WHERE the alt was made. I also really don't care. The price and design worked for me.

100% MADE IN AMERICA is a hard thing to find, anywhere, in many product lines. Who knows where the equalizer parts came from? Who really cares?

If the equalizer fits your budget and needs then it is the best thing for you. I'm the guy who will install some new 12 volt goodie and forget to turn it off leaving the battery dead. Knowing this I wanted my systems divided. If that's not a problem for the end user, or maybe they want to stay as bone stock as possible, then running dual alts may not be a way to go.

The delco alt on my 67 Chevelle has been there since 91 and been on four different engine/trans combos. I almost stole it for the deuce 12 volt project. No idea where it was made. Now that I have a core it's 30 bucks if I fry the alt. Everything else stays the same. You only get one shot to fry the equalizer, but most people don't have my kind of electrical bad luck so that's probably not an issue either.

In the end you just need to decide what works for you and go with it. There are several ways to run dual alts and there are many equalizers out there.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you want to study that diagram again?
I don't understand. If you install and equalizer you are using the 24 volt system, so that itself is a mod.

You can install dual alts without touching the 24 volt side. My isn't set up like that since I use the 24 volt exciter wire to turn my 12 volts on and off, but you could just as easily use a toggle switch or nothing at all.

In any case this thread seems to be turning into a pissing match when there is no need. Just study the info out there and pick whatever fits your needs,

The goal for either method is to have a source of 12 volts to be used for whatever. They both get that done. Unless someone is running huge 12 volt loads like a heavy duty winch - a lot, I don't see where one has a clear advantage over the other.

Last edited:
As long as I could wire up a relay so the 12v does not get left on accedentally I would go with the equalizer, just because I only have a couple 12v things. I like the idea of dual alts but it just seems like overkill for alot of what I would be running. (cb radio, stereo, aux lights) 2cents

tm america

you want to study that diagram again?
installing anything that runs off of the 24 volt alt is modding the stock electrical system...My setup uses its own battery ,wires,alt .With no link to the stock system at all...thus the 24 volt is left untouched..please repost a modding diagram to fit what you are saying cuz it looks like you are just grasping and trying to be arguementive...

tm america

As long as I could wire up a relay so the 12v does not get left on accedentally I would go with the equalizer, just because I only have a couple 12v things. I like the idea of dual alts but it just seems like overkill for alot of what I would be running. (cb radio, stereo, aux lights) 2cents
Electrical mods are like many other mods you are better to have to much than not enough...Alts are controlled by a voltage regulator.. They only put back what was taken out..If the alt is to big it never matters.if it is to small it can't keep up and you end up with big problems..Whether you have one or two alt it charges the same amount to keep the batteries charged..Many people install dual alts for the redunecy of a back up system and the ability to add on later....

Stalwart

installing anything that runs off of the 24 volt alt is modding the stock electrical system...My setup uses its own battery ,wires,alt .With no link to the stock system at all...thus the 24 volt is left untouched..please repost a modding diagram to fit what you are saying cuz it looks like you are just grasping and trying to be arguementive...
Look, you are the only one who is trying to SELL something, you're not biased, YEAH RIGHT!:roll:

tm america

????am I baised on this subject probably.but I have done my research am I am not out here putting out bad info.saying that installing a equalizer to run off the 24 volt does modify the stock electrical system is simply a lie.whether you buy a kit from me or make your own.doesn't matter to me one way or the other.I build a nice set of brackets and sell them cheap to help guys out. So they can't get the best setup for the best price.I don't lie or put out bad info to try to make myself look better.if you want to act like high school and support your clic no matter if they are wrong or not that's on you but don't try to justify it to me

tm america

Stalwart those comments weren't aimed at you.Sorry if it came off that way..They were aimed at the person that tries to argue with me no matter what i write.aua

Stalwart

Now I need to find 4 Hawker batteries without falling over from sticker shock. A friend of mine got a whole bunch out of the DRMO a couple of years back but none since then. I put 4 in my Duster and that think could crank the 985 CID engine till the cows came home.

AND replace that darn M-Series 60A alternator for something in the 100-200A one wire jobs.

tm america

Those batteries are awsome.. sticker shock :?: most deffinately...I have dual purpose batteries from autozone in my truck .. They have been holding up pretty good so far.i think they crank it better than the 6tls did..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks