• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 M35 a1...

minnlvt4

1962 M35 a1 help??

Hello, looking for help with my new purchase, a 1962 Studebaker M35 a1 which has had the multifuel conversion. I went to work on it to try and make it run over the weekend. New filters and a lot of bleeding with no luck, I remembered back on this forum about the fuel shut off valve. Yep that was the culprit, mine doesn't turn freely, I tried freeing it with some kroil, reinstalled it and got stuck in full throttle position, had to stall it in gear as had no way to kill it! So anybody have a spare free turning shut off valve they will sell? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Kevin

I am hoping to get some pictures posted soon, it seems to be in pretty good shape for her age with a hard cab top. Some earlier owner decide to run straight gas in her so I have that to deal with as it is way stale when I get it home..

Last edited:

m715

I had the same problem,you will be able to free up yours quicker than buying another. What worked for me was to use some B12 cem spray.I had tryd soaking in fuel but no luck. Get the b12 or try laquer thinner.I pulled the little plunger tit forgot what its called and sprayed b12 in ,put it in a vise and tapped with a brass punch gently.

minnlvt4

Thanks for the reply! Did you disassemble the shaft from the bell crank that governor rod goes into? I didn't for sake of messing it's position in relation to for mentioned "tit piece".. I should take the time to down load the TM's, but it is way more fun seeking advice from the S.S. forum!

TGP (IL)

" I should take the time to down load the TM's "

Yes should load all of them.
I even have original paper copies of them to take where the work is.

Congratulations on your getting it to run.
Tom

m715

Replace the o ring seal with the proper new one. Tighten down the hold down screws evenly until the plunger hangs up then back off. Read the posts others have done,you can do it.

DavidWymore

...and then re-safety wire the screws so they stay put in their loosened condition.

I'm one of the resident A1 nerds, would like to see pics of your truck. I have a '62 Stude that was missing the data plates, so I had lots of fun figuring out what it was. Does it still have the LDS-427 engine or an LDT-465? Any idea when it was surplused out/how long it's been civvy?

minnlvt4

Thanks for the replies, sorry I've been busy getting the truck running then hauling it home on Sunday. She purrs like a kitten now I have to figure out why it doesn't shift into 2nd/3rd gears. It doesn't have the 427 but has been repowered with a White LDT 465-1C. Not sure how long it's been in civvy, the last time it had plates where 2005? Here are some pictures...
View attachment 650899
100_4032.jpg
100_4030.jpg
100_4019.jpg
100_4004.jpg

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Thanks for the pics! An M35A1 surviving mostly in A1 configuration with A1 data plates seems to be quite rare. Either they were converted to A2, or surplused out and run into the ground (like mine) or scrapped. Looks like yours has an A2 engine and exhaust. does it still have the foot or stomp button for the starter in front of the brake pedal? Could I ask for some pictures of the dash/gauge panel and first three digits of the serial/VIN? Trying to pin down which changes were made when.

This is the website of a member here, m-35tom. Should help with trans repair. They tend to melt 2nd to the main shaft if run too fast in 5th with insufficient lubrication. The main can be pulled without removing the trans from the truck.

Gotta run, back later.

http://www.waterloospecialties.com/overdrive/index.html

Another Ahab

Thanks for the replies, sorry I've been busy getting the truck running then hauling it home on Sunday. She purrs like a kitten now I have to figure out why it doesn't shift into 2nd/3rd gears. It doesn't have the 427 but has been repowered with a White LDT 465-1C. Not sure how long it's been in civvy, the last time it had plates where 2005? Here are some pictures...

View attachment 650910
That's a fine looking truck; she's got "good bones". It's a good find. She should clean up real nice. You're a lucky man.

Last edited: