• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 m1009 6.2L - fuel leak under injector pump. need advice on project just started

OuttaTheWayPECK

was test driving, old hose broke fuel leaked. fixed hose leak. charged batts, started it up it ran but fuel leaked from below the injector pump I was told it is. the black plastic part above is the advance arm, I was told. any clue as to where the fuel might be leaking from and a fix? was told rebuild injector pump. something i can do myself? any instructions I can follow to help me try and get her running again? went & got the tiny C pin. what is the smallest tiny part in pic of my hand? Thank you in advance. I attached pics.
DSCF1012.jpgDSCF1015.jpgDSCF1016.jpgDSCF1017.jpgDSCF1019.jpgDSCF1020.jpg

richingalveston

The parts you are holding in your hand are supposed to be in the hole where the spring is. The fuel will leak if the seals are gone at that pin so it is obviously broken and in need of a pump rebuild to fix it. I do not believe you can fix that part of the pump externally.

This arm is basicly the timing advance for when you give the engine fuel. The black piece is your vacuum valve that controls your tranny shifting. green wires should ony have power on them if the truck is cold and the pink wire is your fuel shutoff solenoid.

no fuel leaks from the black plastic part, you can unbolt and remove it. there is a shaft behind it that has a seal that can leak.

bottome line, rebuild that pump. all your seals are probably gone

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a shop rebuild the pump. While you may be able to do most if it yourself it is the fine tuning adjustments that needs a very expensive piece of equipment.

cucvrus

What you didn't believe me on the other site? I see how you are. You think Facebook guys are unknowledgable. The pump needs rebuild all the same. Worn out and in need or a surgical overhaul. Not something you do in your shop on the work bench unless you have lots of special tools. I thought we had this all covered yesterday. :) Have a great day and get that pump rebuilt. You will be glad you did. It makes the whole vehicle a much better machine.

OuttaTheWayPECK

thanks guys I greatly appreciate it. here is a pic of her. I drove her home from NC to home. I was told to remove it an send it to "Diesel Care in Memphis TN" by Richard Angle Sr. in the cucv facebook group I'm a member of. I'm going to go ahead and assume he's a member of SS also. He mentioned $350. I don't have to remobe the "spider" of metal gas lines from the engine block do I? Can't I unscrew them from the injector pump after removing the airfilter intake manifold? ALso if Im taking this air manifold off, I might as well make it nice. maybe clean it up or paint, powder coat, or something? Any place might cost me less than $350 to get a rebuild? Thanks as always . here she is.
DSC_0007.jpg

OuttaTheWayPECK

think I'm getting some good solid info from Richard. he is definately a member of SS. I mentioned I've posted multiple places online to gain miltiple perspectives on a good solution.

richingalveston

You remove the lines with the pump and then put them back on the pump before putting back on truck.
I used Badger diesel. new injectors, pump, return lines and shipping for 600

not finished installing yet but others here used badger and mephis.
don't bent the lines. you will end up with leaks at the injectors.
do lots of reading here, easy to do

cucvrus

FWIW

Do a search for reviews of "Diesel Care & Performance", before you do business with them.

Regards

Joseph
Yea yea.I could dig up dirt on every business and product out there. How does that saying go. You can make most people happy sometimes. But you will never make all the people happy all the time. I have had good solid results from diesel care and I have seen that most guys like the most bang for the buck. After running no less then a dozen on my own CUCV's and recommending them to others here and hearing that they have had excellent service I will still send them my money each time I need an injection pump rebuilt. I send several members here to them. Some have no experience at all and I tried my best to help them thru the process. Everything cannot be perfect or they would not need work to begin with. This diagnosis over the internet is just that a helpful hint from afar. I know a lot of other guys running diesels including friends and family and we have had excellent results and if not Diesel Care helped us out. One must remain civil. You can not call and act out of hand and expect to get the issue resolved. As far as nozzles go replace them only if they are leaking externally or leaking down. They are easy to check if a local diesel shop has a pop off tester. I seldom/never replace the delivery nozzles and have great running CUCV's. I do replace the lift pump if it shows the slightest sign of leakage. Have you ever seen the inside diaphragm of an old lift pump. Full of crud and sand/dirt. Good luck. It is Engle Sr. NOT Angle . Fair enough. Thank you for your confidence.

cucvrus

OK I will say it again. Every problem on a CUCV engine will not be resolved by replacing the injection pump. It will cure a lot of run start issues related to fuel delivery. If you do not have common knowledge of a diesel and you change the injection pump and it does not cure the problem then the problem can not be solely blamed on the injection pump. There may be other deeper issues that were over looked in the diagnosis or installation. I talked CUCVLOVER and a few others thru the process with great favorable results. Because another person or persons did not achieve the desired results at the first attempt to do the injection pump change is no reflection on the quality or performance of the injection pump. Because I remember people telling others to turn this up move the timing over the line and a lot of other misinformation. I have always set the pump line to line and if I did not get the best results I opted to spend the money at a diesel shop and have them adjust the timing if needed. Most times it was a loose line or a leak in the fuel system. So I learned. I do not jump to the conclusion that the new rebuilt injection pump is bad and at fault. I check and recheck and most times I find the issue that was not directly related to the injection pump but also caused some of the running conditions. Cracked fuel line a return line that was leaking slightly and other issues that were not the new rebuilt pump. As in any business I am sure they are NOT always 100% but I have have had great results and will continue to use them. And a few others have also. I am not a paid spokesman but because a few people have had issues is NO proof of failure. For that the CUCV is a failure. In all fairness unless proof is proven I doubt any issues were directly a result of a mis built pump. What would be the gain? I have spoken with Mr Billy Williams on a few occasions and he has been nothing but honest and helpful. But i spoke with experience not doubt and pointing blame at his product. I had all my ducks in a row so to speak. have a great day and please no public bad mouthing. Do the job right the first time and don't do a tweaking and turning of things and you will be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks