• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st Post, Almost 8 Years to the Day

Hello from Michigan! Joined 8 years ago when I started looking at M35's for about the fourteenth time, each time more serious than the last. Of course, I started looking at them when the auctions were plentiful and these things were going for $2,000- $3,000 for a great one. Needless to say I missed my chances back then and I'm paying for it now!

I'm looking to drive a 1969 M35A2 ~250 miles home in three days. Figured I would make a driving thread after posting here.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info over the years, the TM's, the generator categories, everything. Seems like there's not a whole lot to post as near everything has been asked sometime over the last 20+ years.

Just a word of advice: hearing protection and water.
Thanks for the heads up! I figured on a camelbak and probably 6 hours for drivetime on the back'erish roads. Truck comes with an aviation comms system with earmuffs. I'm real particular about my ears, so that was a bonus to be able to talk normal while driving around and still keeping it hearing safe.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the heads up! I figured on a camelbak and probably 6 hours for drivetime on the back'erish roads. Truck comes with an aviation comms system with earmuffs. I'm real particular about my ears, so that was a bonus to be able to talk normal while driving around and still keeping it hearing safe.
Don't underestimate your water loss. Dehydration is easy and can kill you. Better to have too much water than suffer heat injuries.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats, and good luck on your adventure! I drove mine about the same distance when I first bought it. Had my daughter as co-pilot and my Dad in the chase vehicle. I'm sure you've read the numerous threads on recovery advice, so I'll just suggest taking frequent rest stops to stretch and inspect. Carry a heat gun, if you have one, so you can keep an eye on hub temps. Again, good luck.

Edit: realized I typed "heat gun" when I meant infrared Thermometer. Long day.

I'm sure you've read the numerous threads on recovery advice
I'm sure I have as well, but as the day gets closer I seem to remember less... Seems very well taken care of, getting new oil before I go. Checked other fluids when I went to look at it, everything looks good, sounds good, drove surprisingly well for my first time. I thought it would have been a lot less refined.

I'm going to have to reread around and see what a half decent tool kit will be for recovery. This all kinda happened over the weekend and it's just hitting me.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring fuel filters. You never know when one may clog and then you are on the side of the road. I'd bring them even if they were just changed. Also, bring a couple of gallons of coolant and a gallon of oil. I'd also suggest adding some Power Service diesel conditioner before you set out. I once had an M35A2 that would barely hold 35 MPH on a grade (I81 in northern PA). After running a couple of tanks of fuel (with conditioner) through the truck pull the hills at 50.

Bring fuel filters. bring a couple of gallons of coolant and a gallon of oil. I'd also suggest adding some Power Service diesel conditioner
Luckily the truck comes with new fuel filters, oil filters, brake cylinders, master cylinder, all sorts of seals, gaskets, and more. I plan to bring a couple gallons of Rotella T4, a couple gallons of coolant, and it comes with a bottle of DOT5. Throw in the basic hand tools, wrench and socket set, pliers, etc.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily the truck comes with new fuel filters, oil filters, brake cylinders, master cylinder, all sorts of seals, gaskets, and more. I plan to bring a couple gallons of Rotella T4, a couple gallons of coolant, and it comes with a bottle of DOT5. Throw in the basic hand tools, wrench and socket set, pliers, etc.
How do the tires look? If you don't have the appropriate Budd socket, you will need it in order to change the rear tires. Juat in case one of them decides to stop being round. Also a large breaker bar and/or heavy duty impact tool. I also carried a 6 ton bottle jack and different sized 6x6 blocks to use as cribbing. I didn't need any of it, fortunately. But the old Boy Scout motto "Always be prepared" still holds true.

How do the tires look? If you don't have the appropriate Budd socket, you will need it in order to change the rear tires.
Tires look basically new, lots of tread, round and straight to my untrained eye, supple rubber. No whumping or thumping on the blacktop. The truck has a bottle jack, 6x6 block of wood and what I'm told is the geared lug wrench among the included items.

Hopefully a standard set of tools and whatever is included will get me home. I downloaded all the TMs I could find because I obviously have no clue how to use what's included or what most of it is. Once I get it home I'll have to start organizing and itemizing stuff.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! It's awesome to finally be pulling the trigger and have such a community here pitching ideas, encouragement, and beware of's.
Most of us have been there, so we can emphasize......its an adventure into the unknown. Whatever your route, reach out to members that are close to it.....most will help if possible. Best tool EVER in a recovery? High limit credit card, cash isnt always accepted, but some of that helps too. Keep your head about ya, dont panic. Major truck shop can help if necessary...

Ill never forget any of my recoveries. True adventures.....not all were "painless" but thats part of the mystique! Remember, God is with ya, and so is the site. =)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks