• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20 x ? wheels for 52" Michelins?

Hunter2506

Allright guys, I've used the forum search and checked everywhere else I could think of here, and tried Google and Yahoo as well. I've had no luck in turning up any info on the wheels I will need to put the 52x16" Michelins on my deuce. I'm assuming 20x12" is about right, but I honestly don't know. I know at least one of our members has done it, so I am hoping you all can point me to a source.

Thanks in advance.

Jones

Look in the technical articles section and you should find a drwg titled "1100X20 Budd wheels for HEMTT". (Should be "1000X20"; I messed up on the title when I downloaded the drwg to the library). These are the Hayes-Lemmerz rims designed for the HEMTTs to carry the 1600X20 Michelins. If you want to see how they look mounted up go to the Deuce modifications section and check out the pictures under "baby HEMTT project for Leonard"

M1075

Re: RE: 20 x ? wheels for 52" Michelins?

Getting rims will be the easy part. Getting 16R20s on a deuce without serious modifications is the hard part.

M1075

RE: Re: RE: 20 x ? wheels for 52" Michelins?

The largest you can run on a stock duece after hub flip is 46". Choices are typically either Michelin XML 395/85R20 or Michelin XL G20 Pilote 15.5/80R20. If you bob your deuce and go 4x4, you can get away with 14.00s (49").

M1075

When the Army singled out their deuces (M35A3) they went with 14.5R20s (43").

yorkgulch2

the 395/85r20 (46.6?) is as large as you can go without spreading the deuce axles. Even then if you chain up the rears you can only do one axle and need to have chains on tight. There are some pics of deuces with that size in the photo section. I have been promising to add pics of mine but am still in the mounting process. Getting the bead locks in is more of a problem than expected! Going to Harbor Freight to get the right tool today. (Bead spreader or body jacks to do the same job)

sparkylisle

keep in mind that the larger the tire size the less the clearance and articulation will be w/o doing a spring and/or a body lift.

OSO

Spent about 4hrs down at the tire dealer today mounting up my 16.00x20 tires on my old combat rims . Had to open up the valve stem hole to get the 6" valve stem around the corner to valve stem hole on flange face!! I look at it this way with new tubes and flaps in those almost new 16.00 x20 Hopefully I should not have too much trouble! Ran out of time today ,New shoes are going on FRIDAY!!! :jumpin:

houdel

Hunter2506 said:
I've had no luck in turning up any info on the wheels I will need to put the 52x16" Michelins on my deuce.
Michelin specs a 10" rim width for the big tires. HOWEVER, the stock Deuce rear axles are only 48" apart, so 52" tires will NOT fit unless you spread the axles or remove one rear axle. This is why the posters above stated to use a 46" max tire diameter (12:50, 14:50 or 15:50, a 14:00 is still too big).

OSO

RE: Re: 20 x ? wheels for 52" Michelins?

houdel ,I know I'am in the 52" post , I failed to mention the truck these are going on is a M139 Bridge truck 1953 IHC.As far as I know from other posts on these tires they should fit . I'am amazed with all the help on these trucks from all of the members here . Have a safe Memorial Day weekend . :driver:

m139h2otruck

OSO, where did you get the wheels? Looking to do the same thing, but can't find rims, without spending huge monies on either freight or initial cost.

OSO

m139h2otruck I picked up those wheels about 100 mi south of Oso ,WA guy named Brad. I picked up 8 wheels had 7 mounted up last week . Have one rim left ,less nuts for the studs ,20 studs per rim. paid $100 each rim. Will be going down in mid June to pick up a better cab for my 1953 M139 bridge truck .Last Fri. changing wheels and tires got to front end , had one of those long studs break while reinstalling lug nut . Any help for stud size? or where to locate. aua OSO

m139h2otruck

OSO, thanks, but the left coast is a little too far for a quick trip, and the freight costs on 6-10 rims would be more than the cost of the rims! Hope I answered your stud question in the 5 ton forum.

Trango

I think I bought the same combat rims from the same guy in WA!!!

Did he have like 16 that went in an eBay auction like a year ago?

Just saying. I mounted a set of the 52's on combats as well. :)

DMgunn

OSO, do you know if this guy has any more available? I really want six but will settle for 2 for the time being. I will be heading out to north Idaho in September, and would happily take a detour for some.