• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2009 Schutt M1101, flattening a crumpled edge, advice needed

Kevallarist

Hey all! Picked up my M1101 the other week and have started breaking things down to prep for lining (inside will be black, outside ill be doing in a desert tan).
was curious if anyone knew of a good way to flatten the pictured indent on the top side of the outside wall. This is right where the drivers side wheel well is so there is no way to get to the underside of the dented piece worhout some cutting.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2975.jpegIMG_2974.jpegIMG_2973.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey all! Picked up my M1101 the other week and have started breaking things down to prep for lining (inside will be black, outside ill be doing in a desert tan).
was curious if anyone knew of a good way to flatten the pictured indent on the top side of the outside wall. This is right where the drivers side wheel well is so there is no way to get to the underside of the dented piece worhout some cutting.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Wow. That little dent is gonna take some real effort.
What about drilling the rivets, turn it over and beat it out flat?

Kevallarist

I know you may not like it but if that was the worst thing on my trailer I''d take it and call it a day.

You might be able to "tap" it flat with a mallet.
Yeah I’m not all too bummed about it. It overall is in great shape apart from that.
Thing is there’s no way for me to get a mallet to the area that needs to be “tapped” up.
That part will eventually be covered by a roof rack that I’ll be throwing on for a roof top tent. But I’d prefer the valley not be there to collect water 😅

Kevallarist

Wow. That little dent is gonna take some real effort.
What about drilling the rivets, turn it over and beat it out flat?

Not sure I can just drill it and turn it over. That portion is connected to the wall that becomes the bed. I think I’d essentially have to take the entire tub out to really get to that part.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand your wanting to fix it. Heck, I'm trying to get the clicks for the cover which may turn out to be easier than iI thought.

I looked at the pics and my recommendation may be based on being able to see what damage you are talking about. I based it on the outward ripples on the side. Is there something else I'm not seeing? You can use wood blocks and a bottle jack to apply pressure or a hydraulic tool with some special attachments.

I have a bumper on my M915 I'd like to straighten but I doubt anything I try will work. (Maybe a 500 ton press in my case.)

Maybe you could post another pic with a straight edge?