• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2013 Annual TX MV Rally

anjay22

we're actually within the city limits... just north of Food Basket...
your in the real magnolia. If you are coming out for the rally then we should have a rally point and convoy up. I would like others to do the same since the DFW guys are convoying. The houston folks should do the same.

Barrman

We will be at the Brent Mullins Swap meet and show. The convoy there and back will be around 10 miles each way Saturday. Those that have never seen the BMJP re enactment will want to stay for that. Bring portable chairs, a hat and water. Lots of water. There have been several food vendors at the show as well each year for lunch.

nofearnohope

If anyone has anything from the Vietnam era, please bring it. We are the Vietnam era display and the museum's open house. This includes uniforms, tents and anything else you would have seen around a US camp or base.

anjay22

If anyone has anything from the Vietnam era, please bring it. We are the Vietnam era display and the museum's open house. This includes uniforms, tents and anything else you would have seen around a US camp or base.
Lincoln,

I really don't have anything from the Vietnam era except my truck. I have plenty of WWII stuff though. I will be tagging along with some WWII reenactors while we are there too. Just to let you know.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
At the earliest, could someone post the schedule of events for the weekend? I also would like to know where I should be at for getting rid of the stuff I have on the buy sell want thread for this show.

thanks

nofearnohope

We will be leaving the off road ranch about 8:30 Sat morning to convoy over to the museum. Should arrive there about 9. We will stay til about 2 or 2:30, whenever they start the reenactment. At that point we will be convoying back out to the ranch. Those that want to stay for the reenactment are more than welcome to.
Carnac, the open house will have people set up to buy and sell things, not sure if you need to do anything there to set up. You can buy and sell stuff at the ranch whenever you want.

Barrman

Here is the BMJP schedule:
http://www.mullinsjeepparts.com/news

What we have done the last 2 years is this:

Arrive and camp at BVORR Friday afternoon and evening.

Leave BVORR around 0900 Saturday in convoy for the Brent Mullins swap meet. (All the killer deals are gone Thursday afternoon when the vendors set up.)
Hang out there until people are ready to go back to camp. Last year this was a few trucks at a time starting after lunch and some staying until the reenactment was over.
Once back at the camp site, people will visit, ride the trails, do repair work on vehicles, trade parts, etc... I think we did 3 "minor" M35 brake system adjustments and 2 full system brake bleeds last year.
Visit around a camp fire until everybody goes to sleep.

Sunday has been people leaving for home whenever they are ready.

Bring your own camping gear, stoves, food and drinks. Weather has been in the 90° range a few days and I think 27° a Sunday morning one year.

Carnac, are you wanting to be a vendor at the swap meet? Contact BMJP about that. Or, are you just talking about stuff among us from this site showing up?

anjay22

We will be leaving the off road ranch about 8:30 Sat morning to convoy over to the museum. Should arrive there about 9. We will stay til about 2 or 2:30, whenever they start the reenactment. At that point we will be convoying back out to the ranch. Those that want to stay for the reenactment are more than welcome to.
Carnac, the open house will have people set up to buy and sell things, not sure if you need to do anything there to set up. You can buy and sell stuff at the ranch whenever you want.
For those of us that are staying, how long can we stay at the museum, or leave our trucks at the same location from initial setup?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I was going to vend but if Thursday is the set up day and most of the action happens that day, I guess I might as well can the idea. I was under the belief based on previously provided information that this was a Sat/Sun event and already have locked in, uncancelable plans for that week. Was coming hoping for a deal on an SCR510 and/or 508 radio set. Was planning to get rid of some tires and seats and other stuff to help fund it.

Not to sound pi##y but this goes back to posting the 5 W's. Wish I would have known.

anjay22

I was going to vend but if Thursday is the set up day and most of the action happens that day, I guess I might as well can the idea. I was under the belief based on previously provided information that this was a Sat/Sun event and already have locked in, uncancelable plans for that week. Was coming hoping for a deal on an SCR510 and/or 508 radio set. Was planning to get rid of some tires and seats and other stuff to help fund it.

Not to sound pi##y but this goes back to posting the 5 W's. Wish I would have known.
It should be a Friday night, Saturday, leave Sunday morning thing.

Barrman

Carnac, There will be a huge crowd at the open house. Hundreds if not thousands of people. A few vendors only show up for Saturday morning. The real enthusiast will walk the vender field over and over and over again. If you have something they want. Showing up Saturday morning will work just fine.

There are actually 3 things going on at the same time. The BMJP open house which includes the swap meet. Since so many of the people for the swap meet also have vehicles in the re enactment. They need to get there in advance. I think there were over a dozen WWII tanks there last year. Those guys need time to get the armor unloaded and then set up the swap meet stuff. The re enactment is thing number 2 going on. It is also what most of the paying crowd will be there to see. Nothing gets in the way of the show going on. Except a torrential down pour a few years ago. Tanks stuck in mud and sliding down hills is not crowd friendly.

Then we have the SS Rally. Brent Mullins is a stickler for exactness. For years, he would only allow WWII era vehicles even on the property of the show. I drove my M715 marked up in Vietnam era USMC markings there in 2007. I was coming for the swap meet and planned to park in the parking lot like everybody else. His people waved me through the crowd to the armor display area. I had a huge crowd around the truck. He came driving up in a MB and started yelling at me to get my imitation vehicle out of "his" show. Sermis had his 395 tired M35 there with me. He got yelled at more. We left. I didn't go back in '08 or '09.

Lincoln came up with the idea for a Texas SS Rally in 2010. The Mullins people did not want us near their event. We had that Rally on a different weekend. It was a big time problem for those wanting to do the Rally and the BMJP show. So, the next year we planned it for the same weekend. Just not at BMJP property. Somewhere in there, BMJP reached out to Lincoln asking if we would participate in their event as static displays. We did in 2011 and last year. They now like us. I have even been there at other times of the year and been treated nice by Brent. I was there a few months ago and he seemed enthused by my putting a 6.2 in the M715.

This is the only huge military show within 500 miles for most of us. I don't know how other Rally's and shows function. I spent a night at the Georgia Rally back in 2008 with Sermis and Kwai. We slept on Devilman's drive way, woke up, got in the M35 Gimpy had driven down the previous day and left. What I did see of the event was just like what goes on at BVOR. A bunch of like minded people swapping parts and telling stories. We also get to play on the BVOR trails. Most of the vehicles coming are M35's owned by people who live in cities. Getting a chance to drive in a herd on trails is unique. When you wrote about your "event trailer" I thought you were talking about items you had worked out with people on this site to buy.

I used to be a seller at classic car swap meets. Doing a dozen or so a year and traveling all over. I learned the way to find a good deal was stand there as somebody just arrived and watch them unload. asking how much? as they set it down. That is how you get the good deals. That is also what I had in mind when I wrote a few post up about all the good deals are gone on Thursday afternoon. There will still be items at prices cheaper than normal retail all over the place. There will also be items you have no clue what it is. There was a guy there last year that had all the internals for about 3 half track transmisisons. They were in good shape and around $50. I had no need. I think he did sell them though. Hopefully, your radio stuff will be the same if that is what you are doing. Camp with us Friday night or camp at the show Friday night. Sell Saturday and come camp with us Saturday night.

Sorry about the mis understanding, but we have done the Rally in the past as a chance to do our thing at BVOR with a trip to the BMJP mixed in. That make sense?

Just for everybody else coming. Wallace Wade tire of Dallas brings a big truck to the Mullins show each year. If you want brand new tires of the military type. Call them up, make arrangements and he will bring them to the show without charging you any shipping. At least he has in the past. You Houston guys that is a many hundred dollar savings.

anjay22

Good info Barrman. Thank you. Is anyone camping at the off road park Friday night because my family and I plan on and obviously convoying to the museum in the morning. Is there going to be enough room for us since we may have more than doubled the folks last year in trucks?

Barrman

Colton and I will be camping at BVOR Friday night.

I hope I didn't step on too many toes with my two post above Lincoln. I was trying not to.

Blueduce

As far as I know the entire DFW contingent is planning on camping at the park. We will also have a generator with us if anybody needs power.
Good info Barrman. Thank you. Is anyone camping at the off road park Friday night because my family and I plan on and obviously convoying to the museum in the morning. Is there going to be enough room for us since we may have more than doubled the folks last year in trucks?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not planning on the Rally as I really don't want to drive my deuce all the way to College Station and back but I will be making an appearance at the Swap Meet just to look around. If anyone is needing a cab panel let me know and I can throw a few in the back of the pickup. If you're in the market it'll save about $75 in shipping.