• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Volt alternator problem

stancanpara

The generator on my Deuce just went belly up... Any suggestions on the best place to get another one?

I'm located just north of Richmond.

Thanks!

acetomatoco

First you called it alternator and in the text you say generator... Which is it? The 25 amp generator with separate regulator or the later 60 amp alternator of which there are two iterations...?? I have a used Delco Remy Generator and Regulator from a 5 ton available and I have the wiring conversion kits from 25 to 60 amp, too... your call..

stancanpara

Sorry, had a minor brain fart while typing, it's the 60 amp Alternator. You say there are TWO different ones? How can I tell which it is? I have a stack of manuals about 3 feet high but I can't reference them at this time because I loaned them to a buddy that just got a deuce and have not gotten them back yet. :roll:

Thanks!

Stan

bottleworks

You could try Saturn Surplus, or Memphis Equipment. What is wrong with it? All things can be repaired. Why not just repair it? Might be cheaper, might not. But you would know the status of the internals.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't think repair is a practical option depending on which version and the problem. I know that at least one of the regulators is very hard to get any more.

stancanpara

I don't know what exactly is "wrong" with it other than it is not charging... It's not making any odd noise, it's just not charging... :cry:

Temperarily I have "borrowed" one from my son's tonka but I have to put it back soon... :lol:

bottleworks

stancanpara said:
I don't know what exactly is "wrong" with it other than it is not charging... It's not making any odd noise, it's just not charging... :cry:

Hmm... Well, the first thing is to confirm it is in fact a failed alternator. You should have 3 connections to the unit: Power feed to the batteries, a ground, and the 14 ga wire that is controlled via the accessory switch. Is the heavy cable that goes to the batteries have battery voltage? Does the black (how unique) 14 ga wire have battery voltage with the accessory switch on? Which brand is this alternator?

spicergear

Mine crapped out on me early on and others were hard to find or too expensive-- for an old one anyway. I got a 24 volt 1 wire alternator and no more messing around.

acetomatoco

The conversion kits, less alternator, are $20 ea. Only a few hundred left.. fit a plethora of older MVs with the 25 Amp system... PM me at rampartsllc@aol.com for purchase. The biggest differences you can see on the 60 AMP ALTS would be Autolite (prestolite) versus Leece Neville. CME Arma in Miami has an exchange program.. send em your old one and they send you a nice rebuilt one...see their ads in MV and AM or google CME Arma Miami