• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4:88 gear sets

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tried to go the MARS site to order 4:88 gears for the "Moose" my '53 M37. Apparently they are out of business. Does anyone know where I can get a higher ratio gear set for the Moose?

TGP (IL)

I just tried to go the MARS site to order 4:88 gears for the "Moose" my '53 M37. Apparently they are out of business. Does anyone know where I can get a higher ratio gear set for the Moose?
You must mean 4.89 Gear

Bob Stahl, 215 Everett Street Wrentham, MA 02093 (508)384-7698 Highway gearing (4.89) for your Dodge. M-37 and Power Wagon parts.

Web Page

Veteran Vehicles - 508-384-7698

Great Guy to deal with.
Tom

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob quoted me $420 per axle. He is out of stock but expecting a new batch to come in soon. He said Richmond Gear makes them for him.

AN/GRC-46

Bob quoted me $420 per axle. He is out of stock but expecting a new batch to come in soon. He said Richmond Gear makes them for him.
Hmmm....

His Web site catalog (current, but dated March 2010) lists them at $325 per set. That's a 29% increase in one year; seems like a lot. Maybe you could call him back and try for an adjustment.

MARS has been out of business for years now. The owner, Paul Caudell has been deceased for a number of years. The Co ceased operations a good while before his death.

AN/GRC-46

What do you gain in MPH over stock gears? Do they justify $1k plus? Mileage any better? Don't you lose some power on grades etc.?
Gain about 10-15% speed on the level, and you lose the same in power to the wheels. On level ground it doesn't matter a whole lot but if you hit an up grade in 4th gear, you'll need 3rd real quick. Also, you'll probably have to start out in 1st instead of 2nd a lot more.