• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton winch repairs?

vinny-socom1

Does anybody have pics of a 5ton winch torn down? I think I will have to rebuild mine(drum won't turn handle seems to be stuck?) and was wondering if anyone has seal/bearing part numbers and photos. I have never been inside a 5ton winch so I want to gather as much info as posible before I open her up. Please any info and photos would be great!!

Thanks Vinny

vinny-socom1

I have already printed that out, but it does not have part numbers for all the seals and such. I still would like to see or chat with someone who has had hands on experience.

Vinny

vinny-socom1

I'm still loking for pics and any info on the winch. I'm also in need of a pto shaft too, anybody out there??? I posted something in the classifields but no responses..

Vinny

123mack

There's one on this M246 tractor wrecker I'm parting out. Yours for 40.00 since the u-joints might need replacing. I can bring it to Mobile if you know someone going there.

Jared

If you download the manual referenced above you'll find all the part numbers as well as the drawings.

To 123mack -- I'm looking for the lead chain and hook for a 5 ton winch. Have one of those?

123mack

The M246 is a gasser (R6602 Continental). The winch is the same as the later trucks. Give me the length you need and I will see if it matches. The chain and hook are sold. I have all major drive train parts and many wrecker specific parts including the complete boom assembly.

vinny-socom1

pto shaft is too short my winch is off of my M54(multi) its about 5-6inches short trying to stay away from lengthing my shaft. What do want for the winch set up? I could always use another one.

Vinny

vinny-socom1

I guess nobody has rebuild or repaired there 5ton winch? still looking for a pto too. any takers???anybody...anybody...

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller....

Is there anybody out there......:-?

Vinny

Rene M

I guess nobody has rebuild or repaired there 5ton winch? still looking for a pto too. any takers???anybody...anybody...

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller....

Is there anybody out there......:-?

Vinny
Ive had mine apart and i just matched bearing for bearing at a bearing shop. I had a **** of a time finding repair parts for them. Im still looking for the winch brake housing, i had to weld mine up.lol
And my drive shaft is not stock, i had one built for $260 i could not buy a used for less than $350

M813a1--nhc-250

Rene M

Is there anything I should look for when I take it a part? any hidden surprises?

Vinny
While i am no winch expert.. By any stretch of my imagination.
I found it to be straight forward.. look for chrome damage on the bearings, hunt for water contamination and chipped/mis aligned gears?? there is not a lot to them.

crasheej

Get a copy of TM 9-2320-260-34-2-4 It nas all the info to do all the wenchs. It covers Winch, Hoist, Crane, and Power Takeoff. I had to work on my power divider. With a copy of this TM had no problems. Geter done.

KsM715

Is there anything I should look for when I take it a part? any hidden surprises?

Vinny

Did you find any hidden surprises? I'm about to do the same to my "junkyard find". I have the Tm's but also wanted to know about any hidden springs or detent balls that might fall out when I pull it apart. I went to drop it in place and decided to see if I could uncoil some of the rope. It was wound loosely and had wedged the cable into itself. Found the clutch would not dissengage and I could not turn the input shaft by hand. opened the brake on the front and found it rusted tight, took it apart and and got the brake band off, still would not turn by hand. Built a tool to stick into the brake drum and turn it by hand. If I turn it to unwind the drum I founf that it does not turn the drum but will allow me to spin the drum by hand up to a point then the drum hits something. I turn the brake drum 5 or 6 more rotations and then I can turn the main drum another few inches before it stops again. If I continue to do this it will take me years before I can get all 200'+ of cable off the drum. Im hoping to pull the winch apart. pull the rope off the side and probably scrap it then rebuild the winch.

Anyone have any words of wisdom before I do this?

Attachments

Last edited: