• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700r4 torque converter lock up

southdave

So I did a search, 700r4 mpg ect.. I noticed most were only getting about 19 to 22 mpg. no one mention locking up the converter. I am using a B&M lock up thingy Has anyone have any experince with these unit behind a 6.2 and what rpm\mph should it be set too ?

WARWAG

The convertor should lock up when it goes into Over drive and unlock when you come out of over drive or hit your brakes. I would have a second brake switch wired in to turn of the locked up convertor. This will prevent you from accidentally burning up your trans. You will only see a huge increase in economy when the convertor is locked up in Over Drive at highway speeds.

rnd-motorsports

First B&M makes two kits what kit do you have ? You will need the part# 70244 the other one will not work for your application. also you will need to find a AC Delco part # D862C brake light switch it will have the double switch you will need one set for brake lights normally open and the second for lockup normally closed. Red wire gets 12 volt with switch on,Black ground and yellow run threw brake switch then to trans. Then hook up the speed sensor with adapter supplied for speedo cable set your rpm at about 55 mph is what I start with. the module senses when speed drops and unlocks converter no vacuum switch needed! :driver:

southdave

holy crap?

First B&M makes two kits what kit do you have ? You will need the part# 70244 the other one will not work for your application. also you will need to find a AC Delco part # D862C brake light switch it will have the double switch you will need one set for brake lights normally open and the second for lockup normally closed. Red wire gets 12 volt with switch on,Black ground and yellow run threw brake switch then to trans. Then hook up the speed sensor with adapter supplied for speedo cable set your rpm at about 55 mph is what I start with. the module senses when speed drops and unlocks converter no vacuum switch needed! :driver:
That's what I am useing, B&M 70244, although I am not using the brake switch thing, the first time I heard of it??? holy crapp??

rnd-motorsports

You can use it without the brake switch. But even B&M recommends it. What the brake switch does is unlocks the converter the moment you touch brakes the unit will have a lag on unlock because it needs so sense the speed drop! :beer:

rnd-motorsports

Just trying to help. :beer: What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the trans been thinking about the same swap! Was the trans you used from behind a diesel? If not change the Governor or the governor springs from a diesel trans and you will much happier with the shift points and down shifts .

southdave

RND- I have to get the exhaust on it following the turbo install. I havn't driven it more than couple hundred ft. since all swapin. My plan is to document and post my results. BTW the tranny was rebuilt for 6.2/6.5 no way to confirm other than to disassemble??
Here is what I got:
IP - setting is stock for now.
Turbo- gm5 with used heath turbo master 4psi to start
Gauges
humvee tach and pickup
pyro meter
boost gauge
oil temp
misc.
engine oil after cooler 1/2 lines
trans after cooler 3/8 lines
and bunch of other crap... talk about trying to polish a turd lol

Last edited:

southdave

Just trying to help. :beer: What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the trans been thinking about the same swap! Was the trans you used from behind a diesel? If not change the Governor or the governor springs from a diesel trans and you will much happier with the shift points and down shifts .
Sorry about the tardiness of responce to your question, Supposely it was built in a shop up in bay city mi. for my application by a friend of friend sooo...BTW exhaust will be done tomorrow. so sunday I will post pic and start data collecting . I drove it home after about ten miles in 3rd gear I still need to power the B&M unit along with aux. instrument panel, tach pryro boost ga. egg timer ect.. The turbo is great.. the exhaust is louder then I like, it the tyical 3" before the rear wheel dump. I will have to fine muffler of some sort.

Last edited:

southdave

Ok I had time this weekend to drive 1009, up to get plates ect...
confirmed with GPS 65mph tach read alittle over 1500 mph. boost gauge is full of moisture
pyro read about 800 climb alittle on the hills about 50-100degrees.
things to do:
boost ga.- auto meter
adjust the waste gate - used heath turbo master
review the alt. wiring have drain on battery #1
tilt colum install- for the int. wiper
finish radio crap- need the hook up for windshield ant.
Have a bad ground on the fuel sender to fix, read full all the time

note no death wobble stopped well, may need shocks not to mention tires

Last edited: