• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

715 engine swap

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rather enjoy the fact that 6.2s are referred to as junk. It helps keep the price reasonable

oilcan

I rather enjoy the fact that 6.2s are referred to as junk. It helps keep the price reasonable
Tell that to my local "auto recycler" yard owners! I've found a few runners in private hands for $300 max, but the junkyards want over $1000 just because it's a diesel. I like 6.2's, but not that much!

67_C-30

Me too! I love driving "junk" engines for hundreds of thousands of miles, getting great fuel mileage, and being able to replace the whole engine for about the price of a new fuel pump in a new truck (I paid $400 for a 38,000 mile military takeout 6.2 for my dually and I paid $405 for a new fuel pump for my Z71). To each each his own, I guess. I have been running these engines for over 15 years, and I have never had one leave me on the side of the road, but I have had several that outlasted the truck...

Barrman

Since this thread came back to life I might as well add some current info.

I threw a rod on my 396 Big Block in the M715 in March 2012. It happened on start up with a hydrolocked cylinder. Not doing some crazy hi rpm mud run. Anyway, I put a HMMWV pull out 6.2 in last winter and have been driving the truck ever since. I did a very long multi post write up about the swap and any issues I ran into on the Zone.

Basically, the 6.2 fits easy. The #6 and #8 injector lines are real close to the factory heater box and the factory 6.2 exhaust manifolds can hit the 230 frame horns depending on your motor mount set up. Both issues are easy to fix or deal with.

I am the Scoutmaster for the local Troop. A few weeks after I got it all back together we did a camp out which included all 24 Scouts learning to drive a standard, do at least one shift in a field, back up to a M101 trailer, hook up, drive around with a shift pulling the trailer and then back the trailer between a pair of hay bales. The 6.2 powered M715 did this perfectly. Never a stall, repeated starts all day long and I still got 14.7 mpg for that tank of fuel. My 396 would have over heated, stalled a bunch, been hard to start warm and gotten maybe 6 mpg for that tank.

I used the truck to trailer pull a M1009 60 miles to the Spring Texas Rally. I could run 40-55, but it was a struggle with that much sticking up in the wind. The 6.2 is not a power house as mentioned above. If you need to pull, get a 6BT. However, normal city and country driving, shows, Scouts, parades and ranch work have shown me how great the 6.2 fits those missions the last few months. I think I have gotten arond 16 mpg one tank that was mostly highway.

gerrykan

It really seems to come down to what a person is familiar with.
I'm familiar with Jeep and Dodge engines, so I would install one of those before a Chevrolet motor.

I put a 258 Jeep six in mine, because I know what parts would fit with minimal work.
Having a rebuilt motor on hand also factored into the equation.

I didn't consider a Cummins because I didn't want to re-gear or swap the axles right now.
I know some people run them with the 5.87's, but I would either use the 4.56, or 4.10 gears that I have in the parts trucks with a diesel.

spicergear

I am still trying to figure out why a diesel is so much harder than a gas. I think my 6bt was probably easier than a carbed engine.
I think it boils down to the price. Usually it can be easier to slap in an SBC for quick and not have a hassle with bolting any trans you can think of to it. The diesel's seem to be a little more pricey on the accessory costs especially on the transmission. 6BT and NV4500 is great, but you're looking at a decent amount of money when for about 1/2, you have slapped in a gas engine or the easy fall back, SBC. Personally it's annoying that I can slap together a BBC and not even be able to get a duramax core. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks