• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 muffler spring and seal

uniquify

Anyone know where I can find an MEP-803A Exhaust Hood Seal Assembly (p/n: 88-20517, 88-20518, 88-20519)?
This is the assembly that seals around the muffler exhaust port where it comes through the top cover.

Need the 3 pieces circled below:
assembly.jpg

Here is a picture of the actual pieces.
pieces.jpg

I posted a parts wanted ad in the classifieds a week or so ago, but haven't had any nibbles, yet.
Any leads on new or used parts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first item you are looking for (the plate) is up on the big auction site right now. The other two are not... if you poke through the -24P you will see they are given a PBOZZ coding. Read through the first couple pages of the manual (section EXPLANATION OF COLUMNS (SECTIONS II AND III).) to understand what this means. You aren't going to find these as separate items new, salvage will be your only option. Good luck.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone has one of their sets apart, I would love some dimensions on the spring itself (Max OD at the top, Min OD at the bottom, Overall Height, etc). Thanks

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im actually looking for the orange seal part number 88-20519. Anyone have a spare or two?
I cut that part from a 1/8" thick piece of Silicone sheet gasket that I bought off the internet. The original gasket appeard to be fiber reinforced, but the plain Silicone sheet I used seems to be working fine.

P.S. I currently have the top off my 802A if anyone needs any dimensions of any of those parts.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone has one of their sets apart, I would love some dimensions on the spring itself (Max OD at the top, Min OD at the bottom, Overall Height, etc). Thanks
Don't know if it's the same as the 803-A, but here are the dimensions for the spring on my 802-A.

Measured with calipers.

Wire diameter - 0.088"
Number of turns - 9 1/4
Small ID - 1.685"
Large ID - 2.610"
Height - 3.43"

Last edited:

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just measured off 803a . Very similar for the spring as above, included measurements for the other 2 pieces.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I was considering tooling up all three parts for replacement, but that skank corona put the halt on a number of things. Good to have for the future though.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
looks like an apprentice job while I find the spring

5340-01-384-7863 (5340013847863)
Item Name:SEAT,HELICAL COMPRESSION SPRING
Federal Supply Class (FSC):5340
NIIN:01-384-7863 (013847863)
Definition:A circular item, usually having a flat or grooved flange, boss(es), and/or counterbore designed to accommodate the end of the spring. it is used to position the spring, but does not encase the spring or restrain lateral motion. it may be used in conjunction with a retainer, helical compression spring. excludes washer (1), (as modified); seat, ball socket and holder, spring. see also rotor, engine poppet valve.

Part Information for NSN 5340-01-379-0687 (5340013790687)
Item Name:PLATE,MOUNTING
Federal Supply Class (FSC):5340
NIIN:01-379-0687 (013790687)
Definition:A metallic or nonmetallic item which is rigid, flat and generally smooth. its thickness is small in comparison to its length and width. it is designed for mounting another item and may have drilled or threaded holes or other facilities for mounting to a supporting object or surface. see support, as modified. do not use if a more specific name applies.
NMF Description:BRACKETS/BUSHINGS/JOINTS/MOUNTS ETC

and the gasket is for to make

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Round plate and gasket.... Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen round ones, thought they were all square ones ( with radiused corners ) On every one I've ever had apart. Guess it really makes no difference.
I don't think I've seen a round either... maybe that is how the part starts, and someone missed a final trim operation on the blank.

Guyfang

Staff member
The Original red gasket was a round, red material. Lots of people made gaskets from the same material, simply cut them square. All of these parts are the same for the 802A and 803A. There are at least 2 different NSN's for the gasket. So the newer NSN could be a square gasket. In the beginning, there were NO NSN's for the plate, spring and gasket. After all, how can you lose them? Soldiers soon proved that wrong, but the NSN's did not become incorporated into the TM, for quite some time.

Most of the time, when its missing, you need to dig around on the bottom of the set. I once found 3 of them in a set.

Last edited: