• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 winch pto assistance needed

alphadeltaromeo

I'd like some input into a problem that I'm experiencing with the winch pto on the 818. I've had to remove the pto shaft, as the pto wont shift into neutral, regardless of it clicking into either of the neutral positions.

I can shift through all 5 positions, but the pto shaft will either turn clockwise or counter clockwise (depending on position of the lever) and won't go into neutral, thus always turning. So there are really a couple problems:

1) pto neutral problem
2) Driving the 818 with rpm above 1800. There is a warning sticker indicating that the engine shouldn't rev above 1800 with the winch drive engaged.

I did put the shaft back on the winch and pto to test the functionality of the winch itself...by using the truck clutch and sometimes it would engage and function and then sometimes it wouldn't (pulled the Kubota with brakes on...back a bit). I'm quite certain that the winch has a problem as well and an overhaul of some sort is required.

Could I get some suggestions on the best method of troubleshooting the pto issue to begin with. I'll tackle the winch issue with the TM later, but want to ensure that the pto is operational before I take the truck on the road and rev past 1800 rpm.

Appreciated,

Andy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, it sounds like you need to remove and inspect your pto. It is very easy to do. Just drain the transmission oil. Be careful of your gaskets, reuse or measure the total thickness of them and replace them with the equivalent thickness( check for proper backlash before removal). Once you remove and clean your pto, your problem should be easy to determine.

alphadeltaromeo

I've honestly not dug into it yet. I've been busy with chores around the farm while I'm home with the new baby. I'll dig into it, but not sure when. I'll def letcha know what I find.

alphadeltaromeo

Here's the update. This may seem lame, but I'll share it anyway as it will prove to be some learning for others that haven't experienced this before as well.

As I had mentioned above, the pto would turn (with the shaft off it) no matter what position the pto lever was in. This included both neutrals. I checked it again this morning and the same issue was happening. Ok...so I turned off the truck and went underneath, while Jon operated the pto lever. We put it through all positions and when in both neutrals, I could spin the pto with my hand (still no shaft connecting to winch).

This led me to believe that it was spinning in both neutrals...but wouldn't with the shaft added (slight drag). I wasn't about to try and use my hand down there. I know this is a given, but in this day and age, it's really not. We connected the shaft and sure enough, with a slight load (just the shaft connected to the winch), the pto wouldn't turn while in both neutrals. We took the truck back to the north 40 and connected to a tree and operated the winch in accordance with the TM and dogheads excellent input from the other day on the phone. As a note, (I'd suggest getting good input about winch operations (asking lots of questions), even after reading the TM...just to make sure all points covered in the TM are understood correctly. Perhaps some don't need this, but I felt that I did.

The winch operated perfectly.

Basically, I shouldn't have assumed that the pto wouldn't turn while in neutral. We had turned the truck off and put the pto in neutral and fired her up, but it would still turn when we fired the truck up(weird to me). Anyway, this was something that I learned and decided to share it with the group.

Andy

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
must be the oil flowing around the gears i have heard of this before ususally with front end shafts turning on a ford 4wheel deive while xcase is not engaged. and expecially when oil is cold. the fluid flowing around would turn it just enought to see movemnent but not as much as the engaged rear shaft Tim

alphadeltaromeo

The problem/situation arose because I was driving on the back 40 and heard a clunk...went to look under the truck and the propeller shaft had come loose from the winch...the sheer pin was just that...sheered. The winch had bound the cable tight, so I needed to use a pipe wrench to unbind it. So while troubleshooting, I noticed the pto shaft spinning as commented above. I wasn't sure what had caused it, so the assumptions and investigation started.

I think all in all...it's causing me to be much more careful when I get in these trucks...not knowing if one of my lil one's has been in it, etc. I'm also not saying that I'm careless, just that my awareness is more sensitive now. I will say, I'm contemplating some enhancements/additions to the truck to keep the small ones out...which will also keep out the larger ones that tend to wanna get in a fiddle at shows, etc.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All very good thoughts, ADR.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
goldeneagle from slidell la put some outside handles on that lock. they are chrome but you can scuff them and paint them. they look original except key hole