• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8212 Mile MEP

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovered MEP-003A/M116A2 from Ft Lee - 8212 miles in all. Smooth recovery, Saw lots of new Country down South there, but don't want to trade! Its good to be home. A Buddy picked her up at Ft Lee and pulled it back to Sparta, WI., for me. I picked it up there. It was a complete unit with bows & fitted tarp. We stripped the good fitted tarp and bows, storing them on the deck, to lesson wind drag. That fitted tarp is too nice to see it take the beating of all the miles. Also thought that a tighter wrap on Genny would help to keep the road slush and grime out of things.

Naturally, shopping is a part of any road trip. I made a quick set of side boards from a HD 2x8 and added a 1000#'s of stock salt and baler twine. I did the wheel bearings, had the tires balanced, added LED rear lights and made up some LED side lights with good reflector tape, before I left home. I don't really care if she is not stock, I want to be seen in obscure weather conditions. I used a 7 rd pin to Military trailer plug for a wiring adapter. The LED's allow for both 24V & 12V usage.

Here at home, I have moved the tool box and added a 75 gallon aluminum truck tank. That might be a little extra large, but it doesn't fit bad, and I already had it. It runs straight off the Auxillary fuel pump, same type line and all. Also made up an exhaust collection to better direct the exhaust to get it out from under the tarp and prevent the accumulation of exhaust frost from building up. She'll be a good stand by for both my house and shop. When the power fails here, its always -50 F.

The unit puled like a dream. When I did the wheel bearings, I noticed that someone had installed the star brake adjusters backwards. I set them correctly so the brakes can now be adjusted. Otherwise no significant issues. Ironically, my SF97 & tags were here waiting for me, when I got back. I sure hope the pictures transfer too.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure I knew that it ran, but we all know that its still a "crap shoot"! They aren't often found around here, and usually, the transportation on stuff is a big part of a project. I looked high and low, read all I can about them/have all the books. But I'm not a MEP electrician. House/shop wiring is different.

I tried to find a good one. I'm usually considered extra tidy, and will tend to change filters/oil, if there is any question. I couldn't do it on this machine. It appeared to be recently serviced and had new batteries. It also appears to have been in for some kind of repairs if the Data Tags can be believed. That said, something major can still be missing... like pistons.

So far, I have only been able to run it for a few minutes inside, no load of course. The throttle was still set where it was probably adjusted to carry a load at. When I ran it things check out, about like I suspect they should, but the hertz meter, floats back and forth between 55 & 65 hz. Is that normal - will it stabilize with a load? When its set on I Phase, 120/240 Volts, the split ear lugs appear to be L1 - 120V, L2 - Neutral?, L3 - 120V, L0 - Ground? I tend to be able to read a Meter, but have found its best to ask, for fear of letting the smoke leak out of the wires somewhere. My Transfer Switch does not switch the Ground. So the ground is carried - it is not a "stand alone" unit (if I got Speddmon's disertation correct).

Help and guidance appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

m38inmaine

That is a nice looking set and might be a ss record for long distance recovery. I like the fuel tank but when it's full it must be quite a chore to get the trailer lifted up on the hitch with that extra weight.

shootiniron

Holy Cow :shock: Traversing a continent for a genny!I'm looking for one as well but I get intimidated about getting one a state away. Sheeesh,I'm impressed.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the mother of all recoveries! (MOAR)
:ditto:

Not to mention that it was done in the winter. I've driven the AlCan Highway 6 times, 3 up and 3 back down, and 5 of the trips were in the winter. A lot of places along the way are only open in the summertime when tourist traffic is high. A trip through Canada is great in the summer but a mother bear in the winter. The OP has taken long distance recoveries to a whole new level with this one. Too bad he didn't do it with a deuce and a half though. :D

Ruppster

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure I knew that it ran, but we all know that its still a "crap shoot"! They aren't often found around here, and usually, the transportation on stuff is a big part of a project. I looked high and low, read all I can about them/have all the books. But I'm not a MEP electrician. House/shop wiring is different.

I tried to find a good one. I'm usually considered extra tidy, and will tend to change filters/oil, if there is any question. I couldn't do it on this machine. It appeared to be recently serviced and had new batteries. It also appears to have been in for some kind of repairs if the Data Tags can be believed. That said, something major can still be missing... like pistons.

So far, I have only been able to run it for a few minutes inside, no load of course. The throttle was still set where it was probably adjusted to carry a load at. When I ran it things check out, about like I suspect they should, but the hertz meter, floats back and forth between 55 & 65 hz. Is that normal - will it stabilize with a load? When its set on I Phase, 120/240 Volts, the split ear lugs appear to be L1 - 120V, L2 - Neutral?, L3 - 120V, L0 - Ground? I tend to be able to read a Meter, but have found its best to ask, for fear of letting the smoke leak out of the wires somewhere. My Transfer Switch does not switch the Ground. So the ground is carried - it is not a "stand alone" unit (if I got Speddmon's disertation correct).

Help and guidance appreciated. Thanks
Rosco,

When you are using it in 120/240 single phase mode, the split bolt connectors are used as L1 is a "hot" line, and L3 is the other "hot" line. The neutral is L0 and the ground connects just under the throttle adjustment knob to the frame. L2 is not used in 120/240 mode.

Also, the Frequency meter should NOT float back and forth, but they are also NOT the most reliable things in the world. If you are not worried about it being stock, I would buy a cheap digital frequency meter from e-pay. They can be bought for about $20 or so. You can remove the old meter and gauge and modify the hole to fit the new square meter. Or just verify the frequency with a good multimeter, or get a "Kill-a-watt" meter that would plug into the convenience outlet.

Great recovery story and as always, if you need help or advice, feel free to PM me or post something up on the forum. Good luck.