• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 K5 700R4 torque converter lockup question.

Loco_Hosa

Ok, so I hate asking questions about civy blazers here, but I know you all are VERY knowledgeable, and posting here is free.

I went to pull all the "Un-needed" vacuum lines off my 1984 K5, and I lost torque converter lockup. Oops! I know nothing about automatics and didnt know there were any vacuum lines that had **** to do with the trans.

Now, I have done research, and I believe that I found out what controls the magic over the torque coverter, being a small box with two wires and two vacuume lines. I assume that if this box is the magic box, then one line was intended to be hooked up to ported vacuum, the other to the tempature vacuum switch dealio. I elliminated said switch, so now if I run ported vacuum to both will it now funtion?

Sorry to be intruding on ya'lls forum, but you are the most knowlagable about these trucks. Thanks!

Westech

CPL
the line goes to full vac.... it senses when you give it the juce to unlock the TQ. You can bypass all that and just do a switch if you like. It up to you but I would get a manual and recheck all your stuff. There is a unlock switch part of the stop light/brake light switch too.

Loco_Hosa

the line goes to full vac.... it senses when you give it the juce to unlock the TQ. You can bypass all that and just do a switch if you like. It up to you but I would get a manual and recheck all your stuff. There is a unlock switch part of the stop light/brake light switch too.
Well, there are two lines, should both just go to manifold vacuum?

I didnt touch anything under the dash, just went to town removing vacuum and EGR stuff.

I had just been leaving it in 3rd where i didnt need lockup, but now I am selling the truck, and I have to get it ready to be sold. The ecconomy took my job, so I have been selling my possessions to buy food and pay rent.

Westech

CPL
hmm two lines.... I will have to do some checking. the only sensor I knowof on the older 700's was a single vac line that went in to a diafram switch with two wires comming out of it.

kennyw

If you want to remove all that stuff you just need to get the lockup wiring down to the bare minimum. One switch to unlock it on the brake pedal. I hate to say it, but I think you just went over your head pulling stuff without knowing what you were doing. You will need to get this sorted out before you can drive the rig without damage to the 700R4... You can post for free in the garage section on CK5 Forums and it would be a better site for the civilian model stuff.

Loco_Hosa

If i did this right, there should be three attached pics. One is of a piece that is attached to the firewall and had one vacuum line going to it, the other was attached right by the exhaust manifold and had two vacuum lines going to it.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
well the single is 100% the one that controls the TQ lock up and release. The one with dual... I have no ideal. If you hook full vac back up to the single you should get the TQ lock back. With no vac it thinks your at WOT all the time and will not lock the TQ.

Loco_Hosa

well the single is 100% the one that controls the TQ lock up and release. The one with dual... I have no ideal. If you hook full vac back up to the single you should get the TQ lock back. With no vac it thinks your at WOT all the time and will not lock the TQ.
Ok, well that piece is located on the passenger side firewall, and everyone else has said drivers side....

But, I havnt found anything on the drivers side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks