• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85' M1009 build thread

True Knight

This is one I pulled from a mid to late 80's Ford tow truck in a bone yard... ($10.00)
I think if you can call a public safety Store ( or a store that deals with oufitting police cars, EMA's, Etc ) in your area, they should be able to look up to what part number or length that would fit. Im thinking the only difference in these is the actually arm length between handle and light bezel. ( the part that goes through the Pillar )based on make and model its being installed on...
That's a great deal you got then! They are a little pricy brand new. I'll have to check on unity's web site again and if I still cant find it I'll call em up to get a part number. I helped a budy get one for his 96 Tahoe by looking up the part number on their website... I saw an old mid 80's Chevy that was the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Fire dept truck that had two of 'em from back in the day. They looked great on that thing! Anyway, thanks for bringing this back to the top of my to do list!

True Knight

Hey True Knight,

How did you do your rear Disc brakes? do you still have provisions for parking brake? and did you have to install an adjustable proportioning valve? I have the brackets,, Just havent picked up the rotors, or decided yet on what calipers to use...
I do have parking brakes still. I used the rear calipers off of a 76-78 Cadillac Eldorado. Then you either have to make or buy a bracket to connect the end of the current parking brake cable to the bracket. It works like a screw; when the cable is pulled it turns the screw inside the caliper, pushing the piston out to create the clamping load. Make sure you get the correct pad for the Eldorado though, it has a nub on the back of the pad that fits into a notch in the piston. without this the piston will just spin with the screw and not force the piston out. I know this from experience!
As for the valve, I did not change anything from stock. I would like to play with different proportioning valves and such to see if I can see any difference, but that is for another day. As for now, the truck stops great.

Here is a write up someone on Colorado K5 did on this conversion: A-Tron Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Well its been a few since ive psted any pics and updates... finished sliders... went with heavier gauge metal... and got slide tubes from Shankem... Thanks again Shank! completed onboard air system... placed outlet ports all around rig for quick and easy access...

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the onboard air system is an awesome upgrade - sure to come in handy on the trail, especially for airing up/down the tire pressure, or running air tools.

Ever think about an under-hood welder for trail repairs? A lot of offroaders have installed them...

Well.... Change of plans...... Going to do a trans Swap, but Im gonna go with a 4L80 with a RMVB.. and AR shifter... this route will be easier than doing the 700R4.. due to me already having the doubler... I called Chris at ORD.. he stated it will bolt right in... and the only mod will be taking .060 off the mounting ring on my existing TC adapter... No changing adapters, or output shafts... WooHooo.. gonna try and head to salvage yard tomorrow...:grd:

Well...my new bezels are in..... its about time to install the Zombie Hunter aircraft landing lights on ole girl... Still havent quite figured out how i will end up wiring them up... but.. at least they will be mounted... Im gonna have to relocate my existing fog lights.. and post some pics, once mounted

Last edited:

True Knight

Can't wait to see some pics! I'm looking into some more lighting for my truck too. I want some rigid industries 10" SR series lights, but man those rigid's are expensive!

Well i got the dual Zombie Hunter lights mounted ( 24v 450w military aircraft landing lights ) and relocated the original fog lights. Still need to trim bottom mounting bolt( its too long ) and wire them up. Believe i will just run directly to 24v side of batteries with the neg through a 24v fuse and 24v switch... ( havent been able to figure out if i can use a 12v relay...)

Attachments

donalloy1

Holy Somoley k5 turbo! Going to watch you like a Hawk. Really like your Thread and the hard work you have done meanwhile keeping us well informed. Please keep it coming! DMLII sends....

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got some real nice 24v relays that would work "LOVELY" for running
those lights........I think you will find that will work better for your app.
And if you have the means of doing a total amp draw on them,I can probably dig up some
24V rated circuit breakers for ya...........give me a PM and I'll try and help a
brother out.:beer: popacom /BILL in Ky.:mrgreen:

Okay.... After a long delay.. I finally have some pictures of my progress.. Ive been busy redoing.. and fabbing up a rock solid transfercase crossmember.. the stock just wasnt strong enough for my setup.. and even using 2 stock crossmembers still wasnt enough.. So i went to the drawing board and the Internets.. and came up with this, and gained about 2" more of clearance in the process...

I also, i just recently purchased a "new to me" 2001 Chevy Crewcab, with the Duramax.. it already has the Edge juice live programer, and 5" exhaust.. The seller, still had the original factory complete exhaust..... And well, seeing how it's 3 1/2" I figured.. hey... that will help alot when i get around to finally installing the 6.5 turbo... So ive been busy cutting it up and squeezing it in under my 09... Needless to say, that was way more work than I soberly thought, but and its done now... More pics of the Finished exhaust.. coming soon...

Attachments

Last edited:
Just took better pics today during the daylight...

FYI.. the tires on it are just rollers.. as i cant fit it in the garage with my H1's

Attachments

Last edited:

67_C-30

Well...my new bezels are in..... its about time to install the Zombie Hunter aircraft landing lights on ole girl... Still havent quite figured out how i will end up wiring them up... but.. at least they will be mounted... Im gonna have to relocate my existing fog lights.. and post some pics, once mounted
So you've got your Zombie Hunter lights, but have you got it registered yet? Mine's legal!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks