• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few questions before I go pick up my M1009

niferous

I tried searching and while I found a few posts that were similar nothing that answered my direct questions. Me and my buddy will be going to pick up my M1009 here next week on Tuesday. Hopefully when I get there it's as I hoped and I'll make sure I bring a camera to take pictures. Anyway I have a few questions.

- When I get to Redstone Arsenal I know to use Gate 3 but will they give me directions to the DRMO/GL site?

- How is Redstone GL about letting me try a few things to get the thing running? Mainly I just want to replace the belts and then try to jump it. If that does not work then daveo is letting me burrow his tow bar and I'm just towing it out of there and stright to a tire store. I've heard to not trust the tires on these things. Also I guess I should bring one of those little air pumps incase the tires are flat?

- When/if we tow the M1009 do we have to tie up the steering wheel leaving just a little slack? I've heard of doing this before but don't know if it's actually needed. I know to disconnect the drive shaft and unlock the steering but don't know if it's ok to leave the steering untied.

Just for info regarding the tow vehicle we are using a 2007 Dodge 1500 with the Hemi motor so towing it shouldn't really be a problem as far as power etc.

blzrgb

Be sure to remove ALL weapons from your vehicle. It WILL be searched inside and out even from underneath. The last time i was on the Arsenal they even put a dog through my truck. The guys and dogs at the gate don't play. It's not the place to remember the snub nose in the console.

niferous

I actually called them because I have a concealed handgun license and my buddy is a police officer. They said even he couldn't bring his on post. So we are trying to leave them in bags at the hotel and then just pick them up afterwords.

KsM715

Dont leave them in the bags at the hotel. Never, never, never trust someone you dont know to take care of stuff like that. Ive known people who got their bags rifled through and "they" (the damn hotel cleaning crew) tried to put them back like they were untouched.

If your buddy is a cop contact the local dept. and see if they can be stashed there.

blzrgb

I agree with KsM715. A few phone calls ahead of time by the right people should get it worked out to store them at the P.D. Never leave them in the hotel. Your stuff will be pilfered through. Get caught with them at the Arsenal and it won't matter if your a Sheriff, your family won't see you for a long time.

dam88

Unhook the driveshaft, put the transfer case in neutral, unlock the column (don't put it in gear or neutral), don't tie off the steering wheel or the towed truck won't follow you (well).:-D

Don't bother with trying to start it - hook up the tow bar and get off the base. Tires - I have six CUCVs and two had brand new tires when I picked them up. Your call on that one.;-)

Good luck and try the PD to store your guns or a bus station locker.:idea:

3dubs

Drop the drive shaft. Leave the stearing free. So the front wheels can turn when you turn. Think about a shoping cart that had all the wheels facing forward. The tires may be good. The tires on my truck were fine. Drive a few miles and check for crack again. If you want to buy new tires do it because they are bad or you want bigger tires. You have heard enough about guns and federal offense.

If it was me I would make sure the front wheels are not locked, put it in neutral, hook up the tow bar, and get it off the base. That is as long as it is not all jacked up. Get off the base and work on it.

Do you have something with 24V to jump it?

niferous

If it was dead I was going to try just jumping the front battery. Or else attaching the cables to the rear battery for a few minutes and then transferring them to the front to try and jump it. That's if it does not start. They also said the trans leaks so that may be a factor in driving it or not. I will probably bring the tires just in case. If I don't need them then I'll just save them for another time. I want to go with 32 x 11.50 x 15 tires so buying them locally could be a problem since it's not a popular size anymore. I already have two BFG All Terrains I just need two more. I would hate to get up there and be stranded because I can't find suitable tires to put on there.

Last edited:

3dubs

To charge them with 12V you have to disconnect them and charge one at a time. I got two refurb batteries for about $75. If you want shoot me a PM and if you know the area I will tell you if not I can grab them for you. (you can pay me when I give them to you) No delivery fee.

niferous

I might hit you up when we bring it back. If it doesn't start I'm not going to try and fix it in parking lot I'll just tow it back. The GL description said it starts but the batteries may have drained by now. Of course they are Optimas so that may help me.

On the firearm issue we are just going to leave them at the front desk. We have a case we can lock them in so they can't be easily tampered with.

3dubs

Optimas, you are most likely good to go. I have one in my old VW that I only drive every now and then. I got it because you can leave them and they last longer. Remember you need at least 150-200 RPM's or it will not start. If the batteries are weak disconnect the cables and charge them one at a time or with two chargers. I tried charging one at a time with the cables on and they do not charge. But with Optimas even if they are low they should hold a charge.

Last edited:

papercu

There shouldn't be any reason to disconnect cables to charge batteries but if it works for you, keep on.
When needed I charge my batteries one at the time without disconnecting anything. Wayne

91W350

I never take a firearm anyplace close to a military base and very seldom on the road. I would not feel comfortable leaving them at the desk either. Is there a member near by that you can contact? I would think the best way out would be a car trailer, just load it up and go home. That is how we did the M-1008.

Granted, I am in central Kansas, but after 26 years in law enforcement, I still do not feel the need to carry a weapon on the road with me. I would prefer to have them secured in my home gun safe.

Be safe, take lots of photos and I hope it is a good one! Glen

Attachments

davo727

The tow bar im loanin you reqs a 2 inch hitch ball. The magnetic light kit uses a standard flat 4 pin connector. I will also have 2 safety chains for you to connect to the frame of the M1009, then they connect to the towbar and up to the towing truck hitch safety points.

blzrgb

I'm only 2 hours west of Redstone. If you'll be traveling on Hwy 72 then you'll be only 2 miles from my shop. I don't mind to PM my cell number to you in case you have trouble when coming through this part of MS. Also, if you decide you don't want the 1008, I'd prbly give you youre money back on it, site unseen.

niferous

First off again Dave thinks for letting me borrow that tow bar. It's a bigger help than I can say.

When you guys tow these things are you just using a regular hitch? I don't need the adjustable one to compensate for height do I? Sorry for all the questions but I figure it's better to ask here and know then try and figure it out in a parking lot. :roll:

blzrgb, we aren't heading that way right now but I may be if something goes wrong! I will shoot you a PM with my contact info.

Thanks again everyone. I wonder how people worked on stuff before the internet huh!?:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks