• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A note on Latex "house paints".

Gunfreak25

I was contemplating going with Behr's semi gloss matched to 24087 instead of the flat. Which do you think is better at standing up to the sun?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The secret is out, I have used the cheap house paint from wallyworld for years and have not had a problem. Semi gloss for M135 and flat for everything else. I bring them a 4X4" piece of metal painted with the "real" paint color have them read it with the optical reader device. Main thing is surface prep and having a week of dry hot days to cure. I put it on with a Harbor Freight
20 Oz. High Volume Low Pressure Gravity Feed Spray Gun. Paint on the M890 and M885 is over 6 years old.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

That made my mind up, semi gloss it is. Very nice trucks. Can I see a few more pics of the M135? I have seen a few pics of it before and I could have SWORE up and down you did it with Gillespie or some other 24087 enamel. Great job!

panshark

I'm going to throw out a discussion point, please nobody murder me over this...

Since some of these painted vehicles may be considered antiques, do you think the paint job would ever be a weasel-out point for an insurance claims adjuster?

him-"what the duece kind of paint is this, here on your duece?"
you-"it's latex house paint."
him-"well, since this is an auto claim, and not a HOUSE claim, we're going to have to discount the cost of a REAL AUTOMOTIVE PAINT JOB from the value of your truck. Let's see...to paint a flatbed truck yea big would be this much...we'll cut you a check for $200 to total out your vehicle."

Am I wrong on this? Is anyone going to step up to bat for the insurance claims industry?

rlwm211

apples and oranges

"Well, That there paint is water based just like the military uses."

Water based paint is used on automotive finishes and is rapidly replacing solvent based paint for most industrial applications so I do not think that what kind of paint you use is going to effect much in terms of an estimate. besides, you will have to go to a Military Vehicle refinisher to get an accurate estimate of repainting after an incident where you are trying to collect on someone else's insurance.

I would suggest that if you are worried about your "latex" paint not being appraised properly, then use rattle cans like a lot of folks do, and tell the adjuster:

"Aw shucks, we used spray cans to paint my deuce!"

In general, I would not trust an insurance adjuster to know how to estimate to repair my MV anyways so I will be providing my own estimate from a shop that does.

RL

Gunfreak25

I don't see how that would ever be an issue. Paint is paint regardless of what the can say's it's meant for. And if they really must know, just tell them you didn't paint it. The Military or previous owners did. :lol:

panshark

I've heard of an adjuster turning down a claim because the guy's rig was camoflauge. "You were invisible on purpose!" If a claims adjuster gets you to just walk away, they've done their job well. They get paid on how little they pay you. You got the right story Gunfreak, just play dumb, don't volunteer any information that they can turn against you.

Barneyszoo

I used the Behr from Home Depot $19.00 gal. last summer on the 5 ton. I spraied it on with a gun and presure pot from Harbor Freight. took a totel of 9 gal, but still looks great with no touch ups or probs.

Truckie

Great post- I plan on using the Behr from Home Depot on my M105. I will post after I complete the rust removal process! Thanks for all the good info.

wsucougarx

I love the Behr line of paints. My paint set up pretty good. No issues with bubbling or any problem whatsoever. I have a link of my Behr paint project in my signature. I painted my truck in the 3 color CARC. If interested, I have the paint lid w/the formulas on them for the 383 Green and 383 Brown. The link is the 1968 M35A2 one.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks