• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a turbo to 1984 M936

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a turbo on an NH250 (in an M818 - same engine)

Some things to consider -

The NH250 isnt designed for a turbo and lacks the oil squirters. Melting a piston is a concern.

The wrecker weighs almost 40k empty. This means it's going to be a slug no
matter what. The additional weight will make it that much easier to hit temperatures capable of melting a piston.

The Allison transmission wont like the additional torque. This'll be exacerbated by the wrecker's weight.

That said, the turbo makes a pronounced difference on being able to hold speed on hills. It also improves fuel efficiency. My nonturbo NH250 trucks get 5-6mpg. The one with the turbo gets 7-8mpg.

WildernessJeep

I have a turbo on an NH250 (in an M818 - same engine)

Some things to consider -

The NH250 isnt designed for a turbo and lacks the oil squirters. Melting a piston is a concern.

The wrecker weighs almost 40k empty. This means it's going to be a slug no
matter what. The additional weight will make it that much easier to hit temperatures capable of melting a piston.

The Allison transmission wont like the additional torque. This'll be exacerbated by the wrecker's weight.

That said, the turbo makes a pronounced difference on being able to hold speed on hills. It also improves fuel efficiency. My nonturbo NH250 trucks get 5-6mpg. The one with the turbo gets 7-8mpg.

I just don't see the benefits offsetting the costs. As you said, it's possible, but I'd need to upgrade a lot more than just a turbo. For money spent, I can upgrade other things. We don't have hills around here, and I won't tow anything too heavy very far with this truck, so I'll pass. Thanks for the input!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Turbo, exhaust manifold, you can wrap the intake around with piping to use the standard intake. Or I have a intercooler set
I just don't see the benefits offsetting the costs. As you said, it's possible, but I'd need to upgrade a lot more than just a turbo. For money spent, I can upgrade other things. We don't have hills around here, and I won't tow anything too heavy very far with this truck, so I'll pass. Thanks for the input!!
Ive got a cheap running Big Cam I 400hp cummins that swaps in. Need to refab the front mount crossmember thought. Bolts to the transmission the same.