• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Brake Service Needed

captcarc

I would like to hire someone to fix my M934 brakes that lose air pressure...(you can hear air being released in the intake). The truck is in Arlington, TX. Thanks.

captcarc

Thanks Mike. The leak happens with my foot on AND off the brake pedal, of course much slower with it off. The pressure drop is also quicker with the parking brake off without foot on brake pedal. Frank

captcarc

Air Brake Inversion Valve.jpgHi Mike. I found this Air Brake Inversion Valve for $91 on Eastern site and can be found in the search typing com5167. is this the Q2 valve? Among other vehicles, it says it fits a M939 and mine's a M934. Seems like a reasonable fix to try if it will fit. Thoughts? Thanks! Frank

MtnSnow

With it leaking air both ON and OFF the brake pedal I'm going to bet that there is a leaking pancake or your brake pedal (aka Treadle valve is leaking) of course it could be a combo of all these...
The Q2 valve looks like this on our 939 series trucks. http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/airbrlqfraxl1.html
Have you tried "back filling" the air system with a shop air hose to the emergency gladhand (make sure the wheels are chocked so it can not roll on you!) and go listen by each and every wheel for leaking air (pancakes) if not heard at the wheels then I would start looking at the brake pedal.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it dumps the air and I mean all air quickly with foot on pedel then q2
Q2 are about 30 bucks on flea bay

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 593174Hi Mike. I found this Air Brake Inversion Valve for $91 on Eastern site and can be found in the search typing com5167. is this the Q2 valve? Among other vehicles, it says it fits a M939 and mine's a M934. Seems like a reasonable fix to try if it will fit. Thoughts? Thanks! Frank
I have absolutely no help to give you regarding your problem, but I can help clear up this confusion.

You M934 is specific Model of the "M939 Series". There is no specific "M939" truck - it only denotes a group of similar trucks. The M939 series spans multiple trucks that are built/designed around relatively the same base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M939_Truck

Just the same way as you may read about older 5 ton trucks the "M809 Series":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M809_series_trucks

or the "M39 Series":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M54_(truck)

Last edited:

therooster2001

If you verify it is the Q2, and get one on the Bay, ensure the air vales are the correct size. (3/8"), I got the wrong one first. Easy fix BTW, happened to me. Venting out the stack is the key, and checking the valve and brakes with the truck off, aired up through the rear emergency helped me find it. Get a helper to push the brake, you won't isolate it by yourself. Do not use the truck until you fix it, it's quite dangerous to loose that much air that quick. Just backing it in to my garage caused me to go almost below 40! Good luck, and let us know.

That leaking air without the pedal is still bugging me. That doesn't feel like the Q2., although I knew right away it was the Q2 so any other issue I didn't pay attention to.

Last edited:

plode

If you verify it is the Q2, and get one on the Bay, ensure the air vales are the correct size. (3/8"), I got the wrong one first.
Some of the ones on fleabay don't have the bottom port on the valve threaded either. I know from experience. I ended up tapping it out myself, used it like that for a while, and then swapped it for a non-chinese OEM Q2 just for peace of mind.

My truck still leaks a tiny bit of air out of the stack- I'm 95% sure it's the treadle valve. I've checked all of the brake chambers- it's not them, that I can tell. Problem is, people want $70+ for a treadle valve, and most of them are used- they might have the same issue mine has now.

captcarc

M935 Valve Reduced.jpgLQ2 Valve.jpgOK, here's the valve on the truck and here's the LQ-2 Valve I bought off ebay from Global Parts. You can see that it's not identical. If I line up existing hoses on new part, it appears that the truck has one port blocked (the 1/4" port on the new part) and the top port isn't threaded on the new part. Should I search for a new part? Suggestions? Thanks.

therooster2001

If it were me, I'd get the threaded version, I know someone threaded his, but got the real one after. It seems we all have to get the wrong one first. My lq2 was piped different (check that loop in the picture) and I've seen several configurations out there...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447601901.656078.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are different versions of the same valve, depending on the manufacture. Mostly, MV's are made with "Off the Shelf" brake parts, and are readily available at your local heavy truck store, that are staffed with knowledgeable people with vast air brake experience.

Plumbing matters! Find the valve with the ports going in the proper direction, so you don't have to spend two days re-plumbing your application. The will have parts books, with pictures to help with ID.

sed6

I just ran into the same problem on my end. Pressing the brake pedal fully causes the primary system to drain to zero within about 45 seconds. I first checked all my service brake diaphragms, all 6, because those also vent to the stack. To check my LQ2 valve I'm going to first disconnect the vent line and then apply the brakes and see if the air no longer escapes from the stack but instead at the front.

therooster2001

That will work, but for no disconnects, try just having soldier B step on the brake using just shop air, and hang out by the Q2, you'll hear it, if it's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sed6

Pulled it out, as suspected it's bad. You can see the rubber ball is split and broken. Its about the consistency of a superball. I found prices ranging from $109 to $26 for a replacement valve but instead decided on a repair kit for $13. Should have it in a few days.

20160411_212150.jpg

20160411_212339.jpg

Screenshots_2016-04-11-21-39-17.jpg

sed6

That will work, but for no disconnects, try just having soldier B step on the brake using just shop air, and hang out by the Q2, you'll hear it, if it's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My soldiers B and C don't have thumbs, only dew claws, but fine idea!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks