• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air o matic power steering

DUECE-COUPE

I have power steering on the bob tail, but i don't get air pressure to both left and right, or enough air pressure to make it work. If you know what the problem is, pleasee advise.

DUECE-COUPE

Power steering

I have an airo matic power steering on the bob tail , but i don't get air pressure to botrh left and right, and i don't get enough air pressure to run the side that i do get air to. Please advise

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I got my current truck with the air assist, there was a shut off valve on the firewall that was turned off. There also needs to be at least 60 psi before the safety valve will open allowing the air assist to work.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Deuce-Coupe, I merged your 2 threads as they were identical and moved them to the Deuce forum, as the air-o-matic power steering system is not a modification.

Please do not cross post identical topics/threads in multiple forums.

Thanks and good luck with your problem.

Clint

phataux

so we cant every talk about air assist? i just want to know how much one cost so i know if i can afford it im not trying to rig an auction. and i think i asked weather or not its a stock option or a modification? i still dont kow that

Crazyguyla

so we cant every talk about air assist? i just want to know how much one cost so i know if i can afford it im not trying to rig an auction. and i think i asked weather or not its a stock option or a modification? i still dont kow that
From what I gather, talk about air assist til the dogs come home, but don't talk about any auctions on GL.

To answer your question: air assist are stock on M35A3, an upgrade on anything before an A3.

dm22630

Air assist steering kits cost about $1800 new. They are sold by one vendor & I do not have the link.....I am sure someone else does though.

I have air assist on one of my trucks. It is NOT worth $1800. I dont think it is worth $500. But....it is easier to turn the wheel in parking lots at slow speeds & it is easier to steer offroading.

A friend of mine uses deuces to plow snow, he swears by air assist & actually buys those $1800 kits for each truck. Apparently, if you have a 12 ft blade, winch, and a spreader in the bed.....it can make a difference.

Buy one used or buy a truck with it already installed.

2cents

jatonka

It certainly looks like a lot of people think they are well worth investing in. lots of money spent tonight on Air-O-Matic steering assist kits for the deuce. Those that think they are not worth it need to come to work with me on a day we use old smokey on a job site. 70 loads of dirt on a skidder trail and you'll learn to love the airomatic. JT

rivired

ya it sucks how our oddball hobby is subject to getting tottaly ripped off for toys we want..such as SUPER SINGLE RIMS........ and air o matics and lots of other things...

zb39

I don't think MV's are an oddball hobby.......maybe compared to golf...........you want oddball and pricey, try collecting machine guns!!

mowerman

just installed my new air assist kit today. it was a pretty straight forward install. i found the bushings at the air cylinder a bit of a challenge. im very pleased with the uprgade. i was actually able to to make left and right turns with one hand. for those just thinking about it, i would say do it, just remeber it is air assist, not full power steering.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the original post, what this resolved?

Or, please check these items;

1.) suppy air pressure to the servo valve (the steering link unit), and it should be at least 60, but in fact will be more like 120PSI, or whatever yout truck runs at, if the air-o-matic safety valve is in order.

2.; check the pressure to each side of the cylinder, whicle turning the wheels stationary on pavement. It shouild rise quite high as well, the harder you turn the wheel. soon as wheel direction is reversed, that side pressure should go to almost zero and the thing should hiss.

If you have those readings, might be able to suggest what to check next. Art bloom might know, he is the guy supplying these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks