• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft tug

RealCavDog

Now that is tooo cooool ! I could really see a bunch of awesome uses for that beauty !

Most of them shock-value or head -scratching based ! :jumpin:

If there are any more pictures or information on these, that would be great !

steelypip

From before my time. By the '70s those were all replaced with tugs that look very much like a large airport has. All those windows make a lot of sense for checking status of the tow bar and tow and for backing. I bet they begged for air conditioning, though - it's always pretty hot on the flight line and that cab doesn't look like it would catch a lot of breeze.

Airplanes as big as BUFs and B-36s get dragged around a lot - starting engines to taxi down the flight line is a major (expensive) event.

Knowing how fragile and unreliable (prone to overheat) the recip powerplants on the B-36 were, I suspect they didn't start them until they knew for sure that they were really going flying....

Bighurt

Couldn't find a weight....

The current Dragon's, UTE's, MB-2 whatever you call them we use for the BUFF is a beastly machine, and gets a lot of use...

Steely was right nothing with 8 engines is cheap to start or fly...

DUUANE

Ive been using mine in its modified state for a few years now..its a beast..and its truly a rubber tired locomotive..ive used it to drag tandem truck around with the brakes all locked up and had 10,000# swinging from the jib while driving around in the yard..you can hardly tell theres any load on it..its simply the most fun pull-your-house-down toy ive had..makes my tridem dump seem like a lightweight.12.jpg