• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airpack modification for towing

Barrman

You do not need to plug the other hole on the air pack. I would just to keep dirt and crud out however.

Connect the air hose to the back of the air pack. That puts the air from the drivers side glad hand on the front truck right to the airpack where it is needed. If you go glad hand to glad hand. The rear truck will not get the air where it is needed.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, how about this mod on a 1988 USAF truck with the split brake system?, I've got a dead truck to recover and tow 300 miles...

Can it be connected to the airpacks in the same fashion? x2?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had a chance to check out a split system. Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, maybe someone else has done it.

Dennis

ARYankee

Wow. This is a great thread!! I'll be towing another deuce with my deuce and I've been trying to figure out the brakes and lighting. Now I'm set just got to set every thing up. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread :)

jesusgatos

I started a thread, asking about swapping the airpack over to a 5-ton unit. But now I'm wondering whether I might just be able to take some of the parts off the 5-ton air-pack and put those on the stock 2.5-ton airpack. But I don't really know how these work, or if that's possible. I just want to set up Mah Deuce like a 5-ton, so it's always tow-ready. What's the best way to go about this?

Attachments

jesusgatos

Well, they do like to HUNT rabbits, and squirrels, and racoons, and deer, and birds, and basically anything else that they can chase. That pups Mom and Dad took down a young deer that wandered into my backyard last fall.

rlwm211

possibly an easier way to activate the towed trucks brakes

I think if you put a valve on the vent side of the airpack outlet of the towed truck between the outlet of the air pack and the tee where the master cylinder is tied into it, you can connect the air for the service brake application to the rear service glad hand of the towed truck. The brake application in the towing vehicle will apply air pressure and will push the piston and activate the brakes on the towed vehicle.

In the normally off position in the airpack air control valve, the j-pipe is vented to the atmosphere through the vent. I am not certain but if I am correct (please tell me if I am wrong also, but....) if the air operating valve in the towed vehicle air pack is pressurized in this way it "checks" the airflow back into the air system of the towed truck and the pressure inevitably heads for the piston in the air side of the air pack. If not, my theory is all useless and I have wasted precious cyber bits....
Anyways, this would be a far simpler change to make then pulling the j pipe and fitting it back in.

Just an idea, and I am still not certain it will work and will wait for those who may have tried this, or otherwise know more to comment.

RL

hdexpert

Thanks Chris!! After looking at Stretches pics I remembered that I won a bunch of 3/8 pipe T's and air quick disconnects. Might have to make a few of these and sell em!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks