• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alignment and tire pressure-Bobber on 14.00's

Bcurtman

I read the TM and fully understand the 1/8" toe in recommended for the 9.00's. Using simple math, we should be at more like .150 toe in with 14.00's (1/8 is to 39 as .150 is to 47). I checked mine today using a staple in the tread at 23" from the ground on the front of each tire, got 66-7/16". Drove forward til the staples were 23" off the ground on the rear of the front tires and got 66-5/8". So my total toe in is 3/16 or .188. That seems pretty darn close! I have a bit of a loose feel on the highway, and I definitely have to muscle it into the curves. I lowered my pressure from 50 psi to 45 psi but didn't drive it after that cause I'm also installing the air ride seats this weekend, and we aren't quite done. I do plan to have my front axle seats machined soon to improve the caster as recommended when running these tires. My previous experience tells me more caster = harder to turn. I said all that so I can ask you this:

1. What toe in spec are you running at with your big tires?
2. What psi are you running in your steering tires and drive tires?
3. Have you machined for caster?

Keep in mind that this is a bobbed truck, and I reckon they handle differently than a 6x6. I know mine held the road better before I cut 'er down, but I'm working to get back to that. I wouldn't go back for nuthin! The knowledge and experience here is priceless! Thanks!

ranchhopper

I never had a handling problem with 1400s on a bobbed deuce as long as I used the michelin tires goodyears are a different story. The goodyears are inconsistant as far as thickness throughout the tire and very hard to balance but in all the trucks I bobbed I never changed anything while useing the michelins and the trucks never shimmied or handled bad at 50 PSI.

Vintage iron

You always want so toe in 1/8 in pretty universal. You should jack up the front end to check it though.
1. Jack up the front end some both tires are about a inch of the ground.
2. Put the truck on jack stands
3. Have a friend turn the tire by hand while you hold a straight head screw driver against the tire. This will scribe s line down the center of each tire. Set the screw drive on a block of wood to keep it steady!
4. Have your friend help you measure the front and back from the scribes line. Always measure half way up the tire. This will give you toe in.

As far as tire pressure. It really depends on your tire tires and how you like your truck to ride. Good luck.

Vintage iron

You always want so toe in 1/8 in pretty universal. You should jack up the front end to check it though.
1. Jack up the front end some both tires are about a inch of the ground.
2. Put the truck on jack stands
3. Have a friend turn the tire by hand while you hold a straight head screw driver against the tire. This will scribe s line down the center of each tire. Set the screw drive on a block of wood to keep it steady!
4. Have your friend help you measure the front and back from the scribes line. Always measure half way up the tire. This will give you toe in.

As far as tire pressure. It really depends on your tire tires and how you like your truck to ride. Good luck.

Ridgerunner

I run my 53" XZL's at 50psi front and rear. I didn't change anything with the with the tie-rod alignment or machine my axle perches to change the caster. Everythings the same spec. from running the 9.00's. It goes down the road nice and straight with no problems. I have not noticed any tire wear so far either.

If your truck feels "loose" while driving, maybe it's just that....loose. I'd check out everything in the frontend for play (tie-rod ends, draglink, steering box and kingpins) I'd also retighten the wheel bearings just to eliminate that out of the problem equation.

m816

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a deuce with a shimmy that comes along at forty/fortyfive MPH. Not reall sever, but I'm not sure on front end adjustments. I Jacked up the front end off the ground and can't feel anything loose. A heavy greasing seems to help but it is short lived. I am thinking shims on the kingpins at this point. You guys have any thoughts on that? Thanks and sorry if this is not the correct place to ask.

ranchhopper

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a deuce with a shimmy that comes along at forty/fortyfive MPH. Not reall sever, but I'm not sure on front end adjustments. I Jacked up the front end off the ground and can't feel anything loose. A heavy greasing seems to help but it is short lived. I am thinking shims on the kingpins at this point. You guys have any thoughts on that? Thanks and sorry if this is not the correct place to ask.
You might want to adjust the lash in the steering box it worked in one deuce I had with loose steering.

Bcurtman

I'll give everything a good greasing. I know that helps take up some space, but it is temporary. Since I haven't put the front end on jack stands, I'll do that and see if anything needs attention. It's not bad, but it does seem like more effort is necessary to turn it than should be at speed, and it seems to want to follow grooves in the road pretty bad, so I may take that extra 1/16 out of the toe. To be honest, I don't have many good roads around here to check it on-the truck may be fine! Do lockouts or desplined hubs make much difference? This truck is mainly a road queen.

Bcurtman

Anyone else want to chime in? Surely there are several running 14.00's that can offer some guidance...

Maybe whats been said is correct. I don't doubt it, just want to hear frome experience. Sometimes experience outweighs theory. :deadhorse: