• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Day in Kansas

GoldComet6

Nice pics and story - thanks for posting & sharing!

Yeah I have read some of your other threads about the trips you have taken. Looks like you really enjoy driving your CUCVs!:mrgreen:

combatmech

Hey Glen, Thanks so much for posting your road trip stories and pics!! I am a little envious of course, ( i'm over seas for a bit longer ), but then again.....When I get back, kinda makes wandering the back roads of Virginia sounds so much sweeter......[thumbzup]

91W350

Love that last photo. When is the last time anyone drove down that "road"?
As you come south from the north, you will run into several old barbed wire gates that have not been closed for a long time. Each section seems to have a pasture entrance or two. For that last mile and a half, I saw no sign of tire tracks. I hope the map link works, as you look at Otis Creek Reservoir, the second large cove on the east side is straight west of the east/west road we exited on. If you follow River Road on the east side of that large section of ground north, you will see Township Road 59 running east and west, west on 59 and it turn into
Road 57 going north. If you look south there, you can see the double row of fences I was talking about. That corner is where we went south.

Each pasture entrance you pass going south shows significantly less traffic. Finally, there just is no sign of tire tracks. When you walk around in the bottom of the canyons, you can find ruts where people have been stuck in the past. We went down a hill going south that I am confident would require 4x4 going north, it was steep and fairly loose. It is beautiful country, like I said, I hope the link works. Glen

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=teter...l=37.98764,-96.433439&spn=0.023,0.087891&z=14

91W350

The link works, you are at the corner where we went south. You can scroll straight south and catch the east west road. The Otis Lake is off the screen to the west, but you can zoom out and catch it. Play with the topo and satellite imagery, that is neat country. Glen

91W350

That satellite imagery is awesome! You can zoom in and actually watch the trail fade away to just fence lines. That is wild! I also see how to access that reservoir next trip out. This is remote stuff... Glen

12vctd

Yes Glen your write ups are amazing, we need to get together and do some writeups for this site on repairs and stuff, your very good at writing and pics, and well I am a decent mechanic.

crasheej

Glen I've just had my left knee replaced. So mine on the mend. That is great country out around Big Basin. I've made the trip there to show my Mom, Uncle his wife. They just couldn't believe the views and the open country. Spent the night Dodge City then down Elkhart. We were on our way to Colorado Springs. Took two more days to get there. They couldn't believe the places that i would go to get some place. But you have to see the country on the way because you may not get back that way again.

alphadeltaromeo

Love the pics and the report. Putting words to the pics really enhances the over all appeal. Great to see the 1009 and your faithful companion as well. Thanks for sharing!

91W350

Thanks guys, I had some repair work done on my right knee. Doc tells me I am a replacement candidate in a few years. I laid off the big hikes and have quit running. I am hoping the lack of beating it will help. I need to buy a bicycle and get some elevated heart rate going on. I probably need to admit I will never be 20ish years old again...

Bud and I are planning to hit some remote areas south of Alma Kansas this weekend. My wife might go, that will really slow us down. She had a neck injury and does not take the rough bounces so well. If we go, we plan to visit Echo Cliff Park, never heard of it before, but now I just have to go visit!

Attachments