• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any great deals out there on Group 51 batteries?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For what, your lawn mower? I'm guessing a 701 or something small. Have you tried Wallyworld? They have fairly cheap batteries.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I need some economical batteries for a pair of 002As. I have Optima Yellowtops in my personal 002, but I have two more that just need basic FFF batteries. Nothing fancy.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have added - Consider using one of the marine starting batteries such as a Group 24M. You can find them cheaper and they should be more tolerant to vibration.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have added - Consider using one of the marine starting batteries such as a Group 24M. You can find them cheaper and they should be more tolerant to vibration.
And this is why I started the thread. I'll have to see how these vary dimensionally between groups, but I certainly want to spend my money in the best way. Thanks for the recommendation.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Group 51 batts are one of the best choices for the 80x series machines. For the 00x series machines you have more options. I use marine starting batteries. They are cheap and easy to find. I modified the hold-down bracket slightly to better fit them but it wasn't a challenge.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got Red Tops in my 803A, and Yellows in my 002A. I like the Optima products, just not the price tag. I want to find a good set of batteries for moving back and forth between my other machines (so I can keep the two previously listed operational at all times).

jamawieb

Exide from Tractor Supply have been the cheapest I've found. Walmart runs around $95 with a $15 core. 51 series work perfect for the hold downs on a 002a. Homedepot used to sell a 51 series for around $70 but they are junk. I tried them once.

Chainbreaker

I've been happy with the Interstate MT-51 batteries in 2 of my -002's. I happen to have a nearby Interstate Wholesale distributor with Retail sales storefront. If I find a "battery sale" on them elsewhere, or indicate I am going to buy a lower priced equivalent competitors battery, they will usually price match.

Haven't tried a Marine version that DieselAddict mentions. Interesting idea...as I would think they would have to be built to take a pounding in boats, however I haven't had an Interstate battery fail on me due to genset vibration...not yet anyway...knock on wood!

MT-51 625CA/500CCA 24/60 warranty

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...-amt-51r-mt-51r?dsNav=N~4294766509-2147384903

Last edited:

DorkFish83

The local Big-R store here has them for $59.99 with core. I believe Durastart is the brand name. I bought a set of them for one of the 802a sets I sold earlier this year, and as far as I know the new owner hasn't had any issues with them yet.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a pair at TSC earlier. Suppose to have a core to trade in for each... but if you don't ask for it, you aren't getting it. $84.99/ea before tax.