• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have experience with Vic-3 Lite and Bose headset repair?

springer1981

I have an essentially new Vic-3 Lite system with new Bose headset and out of the box it has some issue. Note all cables except 1 headset cable are new.

The Vic-3 Lite controller seems to function 100% and don't suspect any issue there.
The Crew Station seems to function correctly in the Intercom settings. But here is what it happening in other settings.
1, The left side i'll call the Driver Side can be switched to any position and there is no difference in headset sound.
2, The Passenger side makes a tone in C, D, E or F position. Then also makes a tone when switching back in position B and A intermittently. It doesn't seem to make the tone when switching past them the first time. The Driver side doesn't do any of this.
3, Tried ever combination of headset and headset cables and it doesn't effect the tone.
4, The tone isn't technically a problem in that I have no radios and no intention of using those setting, it will always be in INT mode but is offered for informational purposes since I am not sure exactly what is expected operation.
5, Both headset (brand new) had lots of scratchy and staticy noise intermittently but I don't seem to be able to associate to a bad connection at the headset wires and connectors. Again, it doesn't matter what combination of cables, headsets or driver side vs passenger side ports I use.
6, 1 headset has no sound in 1 ear. Again, doesn't matter the combination of parts.

Based on the above, I know 1 headset has an issue with 1 ear speaker or something. Both headsets seem to work with voice communication but static and scratchy issue effects being able to hear the other set intermittently. I have reseated all cables and swapped cable with no change. I have banged on the crew station with a rubber mallet and that doesn't affect the static and scratchy sound. I've wiggled and played with the wires but can't isolate anything that consistently affects the sound.

I'm leaning toward both headset having problems but Brand new sealed and just opened?

Any suggestions based on experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

radio2.jpg

Last edited:

springer1981

Just check it! Believe me, I have a VIC3 Lite too!
It is a digital system where devices communicate on the bus. Same parts as plain VIC3.
Thanks for the reply and I'm not questioning your experience. I did check the manual referenced and there doesn't seem to be anything about the Lite system in there. I have been searching the internet all morning and have found some vague information about the system configuration however that has only led me to more questions.

So I did find some information about dip switches on the back to set the ID however the information about it suggests it will support up to 16 devices. I seemingly only have 1 device based on the description I found. Are you suggesting the FFCS-L and the MCS-L are 2 devices and both have ID's or is the MCS-L a given ID like "0" and I have to set the FFCS-L at "1" for them to work correctly?

Also it seems that I only need 1 highway cable from the MCS-L "Station Out" to the FFCS-L "Station In". I noticed in your picture you have completed the Ring with a second Highway cable. Is that required?

I do genuinely appreciate the help.

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The system will work with one highway cable. This is the essence of the ring, if it breaks somewhere, the system will continue to work.
I think first try removing the cover from the bottom of the FFCS and trying to address 1 to 6 while listening to one headset and flick the microphone of the other.

springer1981

The system will work with one highway cable. This is the essence of the ring, if it breaks somewhere, the system will continue to work.
I think first try removing the cover from the bottom of the FFCS and trying to address 1 to 6 while listening to one headset and flick the microphone of the other.
Ok so the manual I had is not a direct match to the device. I did add the 2nd highway cable because I had it. I did find the cover on the bottom and found a switch and moved it 1 position and tested it. That solved the static problem.

The other issues continue, tone in C, D, E and F on passenger side is still there.

Also I just noticed the intercom works with each headset regardless of INT and INT2 selection. Is this normal? I thought the selection was to have 2 different intercom channels.

springer1981

ABCDEF position is for the radios.
Thanks I understand that so I'll make an assumption ... since A and B are on the MCS-L and they don't make the tone, is the tone associated with if the ports are available? Any ideas on why the INT and INT2 communicate with each other? Am I wrong in my understanding they are separate intercom channels?

Is the headset shown in your picture compatible with the Vic-3 system? If so what make and model is that?

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The headset is an MSA Supreme pro headset. It works with the intercom with its own special ptt cable. I like it better than the neckband Bose and when I switch it on, I can hear the world outside (This is not the last aspect when I drive).
I'm checking the int1 int2 switch, but it may only work with the programmable MCS.