• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone interested in a lock for the KILL SWITCH ?

goldneagle

I wanted to take my Deuce to the store and park it there without warring that someone would drive it off or accidently start it while I was inside the store. I installed keyed door locks and fabricated a lock assembly that blocks the KILL SWITCH from being pushed in. As you all know with the kill switch on you cannot start the truck.

The parts I used to fabricate the locking mechanism are not expensive, but it does take time to weld it all up. I installed it on my truck and it works perfect.

I am including a picture of it installed. I am thinking of selling these if there is enough interest. Please no copying...

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a person was so determined as to get past your door locks, I doubt that they would not be able to figure a way around the Stop cable lock(a pair of wire cutters would defeat it). Simply open the side cover and reach in and cut the stop cable I'm pretty sure looking at your pic that you could also just twist the t handle until the stop cable broke. Locks are for honest people!
Please no copying...
Sharing ideas here is great, sharing ideas then asking not to use your ideas is not.

sermis

I’m more afraid someone will get in and mess with it in gear then steal it. A couple of turns of the starter and away the truck goes. I’m sure it would stop on isle 7 or 8. The kill cable lock would keep it from starting. I have been thinking about a keyed switch on the power cable like large equipment.

Jones

That's an excellant idea, Goldneagle. That way it wouldn't even start if they could get it rolling then 'pop-the-clutch'.
Sermis is right too about killing main power from the batteries being an excellant deterrant-- that also keeps anyone (self included) from running your batteries down by leaving the light switch on. I use a battery switch off of a piece of heavy equipment that takes a key as opposed to the lever type. Mine's also not in a place you'd normally look.
I'm not as worried about someone stealing my rig as much as someone climbing up inside to show their kids or girlfriend how they used to "drive one just like this"... and finding it idling away between aisle 7 and 8.
With people these days you can't make it theft-proof; but you can make it too hard to bother with.

goldneagle

Sharing ideas here is great, sharing ideas then asking not to use your ideas is not.
So what you are saying is that someone like OD Iron would not mind some else copying his oil filter adapters and selling them for less then in his store? What happened to protecting someone who put a lot of time and effort into creating something and trying to make a few bucks on his idea? I would like to have more opinions on the subject...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the other style lock, the one that keeps the accy switch from being operated. I'll see if I can find pics of it and post them.

Im not going for theft protection, Im looking for the "keep kiddies from pressing buttons and flipping switches" And the occasional "i used to drive one of these" Vets away. One trick I did learn is to empty the air tanks if your going to be stationary for a while. If someone does turn on the accy switch on the deuce or 5 ton, usually the buzzer going off scares the kiddies pretty good..

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
goldneagle said:
So what you are saying is that someone like OD Iron would not mind some else copying his oil filter adapters and selling them for less then in his store? What happened to protecting someone who put a lot of time and effort into creating something and trying to make a few bucks on his idea? I would like to have more opinions on the subject...
its called being competitve. if someone can do somthing for less and it is a superior product than more power to them. if someone is selling the same product you sell but its cheaper and a peice of junk compared to yours everyone who would be in the market for that product would know about it cause we all talk about MV products on here and critique every aspect of them.

Jones

Nothing wrong with wanting to make a buck or two... that's a given. But it's also understood (at least on this site) that we all pitch in to help each other; with ideas, hands-on mechanical stuff, pointers for troubleshooting, hauling... the list goes on and on.
If anyone from General Motors to Joe-backyard mechanic puts out a product, concept, idea-- there'll be those who duplicate it. Not exactly fair but it happens. The trick is to make a part that's easier to buy than to make ourselves.
I think the ruffled feathers may come from reminding us that we're supposed to behave when most of us think we already do.

goldneagle

I think the ruffled feathers may come from reminding us that we're supposed to behave when most of us think we already do.
Asking nicely should not offend anyone. This way no one can say " well you didn't say I couldn't copy it" I am sure there will be people out there that might ignore my request and fabricate the lock adapter anyway. It's like " locks keep honest people honest"

Did OD IRON patent his oil filter adapters? They are not complicated to make. I bet he would not be happy if someone made the same adapters and sold them for $100 less. I am only using it as an example. My lock adapter didn't take as long to develop. I am not gonna shoot anyone who decides to copy my idea....

alphadeltaromeo

Quite honestly, if I had the lathe, I would have made my own spin-ons...but I don't, so I purchased what was made well by someone else. If you make a quality lock, I may purchase one. But then again, I may just make one myself. There are numerous good lock ideas out there. Make the best quality one and you'll have more folk purchasing your design.

Your idea is a good one though :) keep the mind working!

My 2 cents

goldneagle

Here is a picture of the door lock as requested. It basically replaces the existing military door handle. Very minor grinding of the end of the shaft to fit door thickness.

Attachments

ida34

CliffW

Jones said:
Nothing wrong with wanting to make a buck or two... that's a given. But it's also understood (at least on this site) that we all pitch in to help each other; with ideas, hands-on mechanical stuff, pointers for troubleshooting, hauling... the list goes on and on.
If anyone from General Motors to Joe-backyard mechanic puts out a product, concept, idea-- there'll be those who duplicate it. Not exactly fair but it happens. The trick is to make a part that's easier to buy than to make ourselves.
:ditto:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the best lock/deterrant for a thief, is to have a battery disconnect located in an obscure spot. If they can't steal it fast, they probably won't. Otherwise, with about 15 minutes, most of us here can drive the truck away, lock and all! So is the "Lock Idea" worth stealing..............

Lee in Alaska

goldneagle

My intent is to make this part of a 6 lock set. The lock you see in the picture is part of a 2 lock set(keyed alike). I was able to find 3 sets of these locks at Home Depot all keyed alike=1 key will open all 6 locks. 1 lock goes on the KILL SWITCH. 2 locks go on the hood (one on each side panel). 1 lock goes on the tool compartment. 1 lock will go on the battery box. 1 lock for the fuel tank cap. That makes 6 locks but only one key. If you include the door lock key, thats 2 keys for the entire vehicle. Just like a lot of American cars have.

If you need more locks keyed alike the locks Home Depot sell come in small case lots. There may be as many as 10 pairs in the carton that are keyed the same. I picked the set that only had 3 pairs left.

I already came up with my own design for the gas cap lock. Maybe I will put together a complete set for anyone interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks