• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Boats

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All right here is a question for the masses: I just saw an old (60-70's) aluminum Army boat (no pic's) :roll: . Anyway, I am trying to figure out what it was. All aluminum, 3-53 diesel, maybe 20' long. Painted 4 color camo. It came from Ft MCcoy WI around 20 years ago. It is complete and very reasonably priced. I know it's hard to figure out what it was without seeing it but we didn't have a camera with. Anyone have ideas or a pic?

Jones

Could be any number of possibilities; from a boat used to push floating bridge sections around to some kind of patrol boat for riverine operations.
Do a google images search and see what you can find under 'brown water navy' or 'army work boat'.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to have a military boat of some kind. I've got a camp on the lake and a pontoon boat at the moment but the pontoon boat doesn't really match the rest of my green iron. Problem is that any military boats that I've seen ( that aren't inflatable and big enough for the family to enjoy) have been out of my price range :cry: .

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am almost sure it was a bridge boat. I can't find any pictures of one though. There is a newer style that I can get pics of (I think a MK2) but not the older type. I have also heard that the front is removeable for transport but can't verify yet.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen pics of a 5 ton with a boat and launcher built onto the back of the truck. What is this one called and what was it used for?

M1075

Here are some pics of bridge trucks and boats. Did it look like any of these?

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looked alot like the first photo. I did not think it was that long though (weeds were pretty high).

muddog

I can see my wants are going to extend to green boats now. Where can I find one of those in the pics above, would make a great stripper rig and look good behind the M35.

m139h2otruck

Don't have any photos, but the M812A1 trucks carried both the foldup bridge sections and the boat that pushed them around. I think it used a 3-53 Detroit. In the manual section I think there is a manual.

saquishmike

Yes ,They had twin Detriot 353 bolted up to Borg warner 3:1 gears with 25" props. They have levers and a screw type bolt holding the bow to the stern section. They will both float on there own. It is a very powerful little unit. Very loud with straight pipes !

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Jim, Did you get pictures of the boat yet..? Can you go back to the spot and take a few..?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey I've been thinking about that boat too! I saw it a while ago. I feel the need to go see the owner this weekend. I'll go see him this weekend.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just spoke to Roger, the owner. He wants $12,500. Remember we could have had it for $4,500 when he first dragged it home 20 yrs ago? He says it only has 108 hours on it. I remember he had it on the river and the DNR came down on him for the loud exhaust and lack of registration.