• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AWOLs 1997 M1097A2 Build

Awol

What kind of prep did you do? Any scuffing, sanding, etc.?
I scuffed everything with a red scotch brite, and wiped it down with a heavy duty wax and grease remover. After that it was just two coats of satin black. I figured the original carc will act like a good primer for it.

I'm slowly working my way towards the outside of the truck. I'm fact, I just ordered the paint for it.

Awol

If you're thinking of a soft slant back, let me know. I have black PVC and black sailcloth in stock.
BDGR
I'm definitely thinking about it. I think it would look sweet!

The paint is coming in Wednesday. It's Jet Black base coat with a nice high solids clear. I'll be doing 3 coats of color, and 4 coats of clear. Three only downside to painting a Humvee in BC/CC is trying to cut and buff it. The hood will be easy, but the sides with all the rivets will be a pain in the ass. Hopefully I'll lay it down flat enough I can get away with just a buff, and not have to wetsand the sides of the truck.

The hood will definitely be cut and buffed. Starting at 1000 grit and working up to 4000. Should look like a mirror!

Awol

I should be laying down the high build primer today. Initially I was just gonna do the hood, but I'm thinking about just doing the whole truck. I feel like the Carc will act like a decent primer, but I figured while I'm there painting the hood, might as well do everything else.

Awol

Got the rims in. I was gonna go with H2 wheels, but at the last second I decided to go with these Blackrock 942 Type D wheels.

They're 17x9 with a 4.5" backspace, -13mm offset. They sit about 1/2" out from the body.

20240411_123345.jpg20240411_123542.jpg

Awol

Looks good! I'm currently prepping my 1097R1 for (Flat Tan 686). Thank you for posting your experience with the RhinoLine spray gun, I plan on doing that to my interior also. Yours looks clean so I think I will go that route as well.
It's definitely worth doing. It came out awesome.

I wanted an H1 style marker light bar on the windshield, but nobody made anything close to looking like an H1 that was 24v, so I made this.

It's three, 4 inch 24v trailer lights mounted to some flat stock I had laying around. I measured between the two windshield rubber bumpers, which was 16", then spaced the lights out according. Should look sweet once it's painted and mounted up!

20240415_151156.jpg20240415_154712.jpg