• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-24 Broke nosewheel

Amer-team

Darn, looks like all the really expensive stuff is till in one piece. So what happened? Landing gear fail to deploy, lock in place, or lock up? tire blow out?
Good that everyone was ok and the plane too.

WarrenD

The nose gear did not drop. They circled for about an hour while the crew lowered the nose wheel manually and they then attempted to land. When the nose wheel hit, the gear collapsed causing damage to the skin. It's being prepped for a ferry flight back to TX for repairs as soon as they can be sure they have the nose gear working reliably. There were no injuries.

Last edited:

Needle

where is the plane based out of, who owns it
"Diamond Lil" (previously "Ol 927") is owned by the Commemorative Air Force, and is based at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum at Addison airport, TX. The B24 maintenance crew are currently at the Carolinas Aviation Museum getting her ready for a ferry flight back to Addison, once they have the OK from the FAA.

Once back at Addison, the full maintenance team will do a complete damage evaluation, and then decide how to repair the damaged sheet metal, glass, hydraulics, electrics, paint, etc.

I am currently sorting things out in the hanger to ensure everything is ready for when she comes back.

Unfortunately, just after the B-24 and the B-29 went on tour (which was supposed to be about 6 weeks) we took the opportunity to make use of the extra temporary space, by moving a few other aircraft around to allow us to work on other projects, and now the Cavanaugh South hanger (the normal home of the B24 and the B29) contains a C47, HU-16 Albatross, C-45, Corsair, DUKW, M35A2, an M4K forklift, an RV, a shuttle bus and 4 aircraft tugs. Most of the vehicles are now in various stages of "manintenance/overhaul". I am trying to get things back together (and out of the way) as fast, and as safely, as I can to make room for the B24.

mtnrebel

Get er back on track , needle. I grew up on you guys as Confederate Air Force, too bad those days are gone. You will always be the Confederate Air Force in my mind.

vtdeucedriver

"Diamond Lil" (previously "Ol 927") is owned by the Commemorative Air Force, and is based at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum at Addison airport, TX. The B24 maintenance crew are currently at the Carolinas Aviation Museum getting her ready for a ferry flight back to Addison, once they have the OK from the FAA.

Once back at Addison, the full maintenance team will do a complete damage evaluation, and then decide how to repair the damaged sheet metal, glass, hydraulics, electrics, paint, etc.

I am currently sorting things out in the hanger to ensure everything is ready for when she comes back.

Unfortunately, just after the B-24 and the B-29 went on tour (which was supposed to be about 6 weeks) we took the opportunity to make use of the extra temporary space, by moving a few other aircraft around to allow us to work on other projects, and now the Cavanaugh South hanger (the normal home of the B24 and the B29) contains a C47, HU-16 Albatross, C-45, Corsair, DUKW, M35A2, an M4K forklift, an RV, a shuttle bus and 4 aircraft tugs. Most of the vehicles are now in various stages of "manintenance/overhaul". I am trying to get things back together (and out of the way) as fast, and as safely, as I can to make room for the B24.
Hey since you guys will be bending metal on the nose, whats the chances of working on another project that Gary A had and put the Green house glass back in

Needle

Hey since you guys will be bending metal on the nose, whats the chances of working on another project that Gary A had and put the Green house glass back in
I think that whatever repairs/modifications made to the aircraft will be totally dependant on the "damage assessment". It must be remembered that the number one priority during air show/touring season is to make the aircraft available to the veterans and public as much as possible, which also brings in revenue to assist with the "bottom line" and helps to keep her flying. Taking the aircraft out of service for more time than necessary at this time of the year to perform "upgrades" won't fly well with the "bean counters", especially as we also have to keep the B-29 operational at the same time.

However, all those things that Gary A wanted to eventually achieve with the aircraft are never forgotten, and hopefully items such as the green house glass, bomb bay doors, upper gun ring, neutrality flag on the top of the aircraft will hopefully be achieved during future years of winter maintenance (money, parts and labor permitting).

Since you mentioned Gary A, I still find it hard to believe it was over 2 and half years ago (October 2009) that we lost him. 1st picture is of me (left) showing Gary (right) the Sherman tank, just before we went for a fun drive around the airport on one of the last occasions he came for a visit.

Attachments

Needle

I wish i worked up there needle, I would live at that hangar working like a rat on those things
You are always more than welcome to come and assist, however, with some of the "creatures" (alive and dead) that I have discovered in the hanger over the last several years, I don't think you would literally want to live in there! :shock:

SMOKEWAGON66

I always hate seeing these old birds getting damaged. Im glad the damage was minimal and repairable. Obviously Im also glad there were no injuries. At least it didnt end like the B-17 that was lost last year. Always a shame when we lose these priceless pieces of history.

saddamsnightmare

June 3rd, 2012.

Good luck on the repairs, but further proof of no matter how much you maintain them, there is always a certain unknown failure facture that is going to make itself felt. Regrettably, sooner or later the decision is going to have to be made to either preserve them and not fly them, or fly them and loose irreplaceable pieces of history. The rarer the machine the quicker this decision will have to be made.
Imagine losing the B-29 "FiFi" after the "KiKi Bird" was lost through ignorance as shown in the extraction method chosen. Once common aircraft are now often the only survivors, and every minute of flight and of time weakens the survivability a little further. Duraluminum does have its ageing weaknesses to, and even stainless steel suffers from weathering and stress...
I know the point is not popular here, but at some point all the military equipment we love is sooner or later going to have to be preserved or scrapped, there is no other solution to the problem of time...:shock: It works the same for us too, we get preserved for three or four days, then they scrap us:(....

Last edited:

Needle

June 3rd, 2012.

Regrettably, sooner or later the decision is going to have to be made to either preserve them and not fly them, or fly them and loose irreplaceable pieces of history. The rarer the machine the quicker this decision will have to be made.
Imagine losing the B-29 "FiFi" after the "KiKi Bird" was lost through ignorance as shown in the extraction method chosen.
Kyle, I am in full support of the belief that if the aircraft is the last known survivor, then it should be preserved in the safest way possible to ensure that it is available to be viewed by future generations. If FIFI was the last known surviving B29, then rest assured she would not be flown. However, at this point in time there are at least 20 other "static" examples of this great aircraft on display at various museums and institutions around the world. Also, in the case of FIFI (B29) had she not be "rescued" when she was, by a determined group of people with great foresight, she would no longer be with us at all, since she was a target on the China Lakes ranges.

For the B-24, she is one of 2 currently flown B24 models, with at least another 12 statically displayed in museums or at air bases. As with FIFI, if the point was ever reached where she might become the last surviving example, then I am again sure she would be grounded to be available for future generations. Again, had the aircraft not been acquired by the CAF from PEMEX in 1967, who knows if she would even be around today.

As for my comments on the Kee Bird fiasco...well it was not just the loss of a great aircraft, there was also loss of life, mainly due to an unrealistic time-frame/budget to try and get that aircraft off the ice. Something I hope will not be tried again with out better planning and finances.

(Please note: the above comments are my own and do not necessarily align with those of any organisation I am associated with)

Last edited: