• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Start Belt Whining Noise

OuttaTheWayPECK

Need a little help. Not sure if I ran it out of fuel or not as gas gauge isn't a new one. Truck has been starting up fine, running good. yesterday it cut off on me. coasted to stop. truck started reluctantly drove another 100 feet or so cut off again. I put 5 gals of fuel in tank. I got truck home from a tow. I did the fuel system bleed once. fuel came out and flowed into my capture jug while bleeder top of fuel filter was opened. closed it. Engine sputters and sputters. If you floor the gas peddle, it started very harshly. didn't sounds great but ran. The belt squealing noise big time. but the belts looked like they were all turning. I cut the engine off as it was making squealing noise. I'm going to try to bleed it again, maybe I didn't bleed it enough? but would air in the fuel lines make that thing squeal like that? would a bad water pump make a "loose belt squealing noise" ? ... thanks for the help. 1985 cucv J code 6.2. no mods other than a couple simple things. It has a brand new starter, glowplug sylenoid, and doghead, removed resistor off firewall. new alts...

dependable

If your lucky, some air in the system is making it rev a little. Might be time to tighten or replace belts anyway. Tighten any loose belts and start and let run. If it evens out after a while, your good to go.

Try to remember not to fun out of fuel, it reflects poor planing and will leave you on the side of the road, especially in a diesel. I try never to let any of mine go below a quarter tank, and remeber not to trust the fuel gauges on these too much. Even when they are working, getting close to empty is empty. Ain't like a modern euro car.

Barrman

The starter motor really sucks the batteries down. With old or loose belts, one dry ip refilling will have those belts singing. Charge your batteries and try it again. After a charge and belt snugging up.

OuttaTheWayPECK

sounds good to go. I'm on it. will charge over night and bleed again tomorrow and try and start... I did test batts and both were holding steady at around 12.45.

OuttaTheWayPECK

quick question.. if ya know off the top of your head... what size is the pressure hose on top of the engine feeds into IP. you know the one that stears right at you top center front?

TGP (IL)

The hose you see on top of the IP is the return hose. Should be 1/4 "
The IP inlet is also 1/4"and feeds into the rear of the pump.
Tom

Barrman

3/8 hose from lift pump to filter. 1/4 hose from filter to ip. 1/4 hose for return lines.

Unless you have a lot of slack adjustment room on your alternator brackets. I would suggest new belts. Once they start slipping, the belts get hot and glaze over. Pretty much making then prone to slipping every time you start from now on.